Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Mac Frustration - glitch

Simon Edmondson

I am running an IMac 3.03 with 4Gb of RAM, using OSX 10.65 and 15J of AM.

I am trying to finish off a project that has had a few difficulties but, I have a recurring problem which, if I was a less affable fellow, would have me screaming.

This afternoon ( UK time ) I was rendering out some test QT files of Action files for the project.

One file would render and I would select the next one. When I go to save file as, to change the name, the program freezes up and every time I click the mouse I get the fault sound. I can't even click CANCEL .

The only way to get out of it is to Force Quit under OSX. Then reload.

This happens each time I have rendered one file and try to render another. Its getting a bit frustrating having to keep restarting.

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem and, most importantly, how can I fix it ?

This has happened before but, not as frequently and as regularly as today. I've tried rebooting the machine and have nothing going on in the background at the same time.

Any help you are able to offer will be greatly appreciated.

regards

simon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's some glitchy stuff there with the Mac version. If you can't click on dialog buttons, apple-tab to another program and then back in to A:M and you'll regain control of the buttons. (If you've got multiple dialogs open, you may need to completely hide A:M by option-clicking the desktop or what have you and then tabbing back in to regain control.)

As for files crashing on render like that, first, make sure any old copy of the rendered file is deleted/moved; if you try to render back over the old corrupted one it will corrupt and crash again. Go in to your render to file settings > format > Quicktime Move > and then go to the "Save Options" and click "Set." Change the compression type to something else, it doesn't matter what. Hit OK. Now go back in and change the compression back to whatever it was before. Hit OK. Your movie should now save without crashing.

There's some glitchy stuff there with the Mac version. If you can't click on dialog buttons, apple-tab to another program and then back in to A:M and you'll regain control of the buttons. (If you've got multiple dialogs open, you may need to completely hide A:M by option-clicking the desktop or what have you and then tabbing back in to regain control.)

Thank You very much for the info. I shall try that straight away.

regards

simon

Simon try Cmd+H (hide) and back. That works for me. Unfortunately it is a "known" problem.

Thank you kindly for the info.

regards

simon

mac and quicktime

if your are rendering from the camera

make sure that when you render the file name matches that of the camera file name

also you might have to change the export settings in Quicktime ( for some reason every now and then that screws things up )

for example if you are rendering out as an animation change it to none and do just a 1 frame render

then you can change it back your preferred settings

once everything is lined up that should solve the problem

if you can not enter any info in text boxes just click anywhere outside of AM ( your desktop ) and you will be back in bizz

pic.png

pic_2.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

Steffen has said these mac interface problems are difficult to solve because they only happen in the final compiled version and not in the "debugging" version where his software can track all events in the program. Something like that.

Rob

Thank you for that.

This is not the time or place to start a Mac/PC arguement but, I moved over to Macs for hardware and software reliability reasons. I'm still getting used to the transition. Its had its hiccups but nowhere near as many as before.

regareds

simon