sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Creating Dust

bubba

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

He looks menacing!

I think you've definitely got the drifting dust effect going on the spherical version better.

In any event the cone is probably too specific a shape. The sphere is more cloudlike.

I guess you're doing like in TAoA:M where they used the same sphere for both feet?

If you used a separate one for each foot you could have the dust linger longer and take longer to settle. I think maybe the sphere should be scaled to be bigger and flatter at its largest extent.

These volumetric effects are very basic approximations of the look of dust in the air. Adding "Noise" to them helps make them look less uniform.

If we wanted to get fancy we'd probably use a particle emmitter to blow out a bunch of particles when the foot stomped down and those could be blown about be a Force. That's a bit deeper end stuff. That's something I've been thinking of toying with but havent' gotten around to it yet.

...If we wanted to get fancy we'd probably use a particle emmitter to blow out a bunch of particles when the foot stomped down and those could be blown about be a Force. That's a bit deeper end stuff. That's something I've been thinking of toying with but havent' gotten around to it yet....

That is something that I am going to play with in a shot that I'm working on now--emitting some sprite dust to drift-off in the wind.

I think you've definitely got the drifting dust effect going on the spherical version better.

In any event the cone is probably too specific a shape. The sphere is more cloudlike.

I guess you're doing like in TAoA:M where they used the same sphere for both feet?

If you used a separate one for each foot you could have the dust linger longer and take longer to settle. I think maybe the sphere should be scaled to be bigger and flatter at its largest extent.

These volumetric effects are very basic approximations of the look of dust in the air. Adding "Noise" to them helps make them look less uniform.

Ok I will go with the sphere. Yes, I was doing it like the exercise in TA0A:M.

When you say add "Noise", is this different than "Add Turbulence"?

Does Distortion Mode work on Volumetrics? Or will I have to use "Scale" under "Transform"?

• Hash Fellow
When you say add "Noise", is this different than "Add Turbulence"?

I meant Turbulence. There are choices for Noise for Turbulence.

Does Distortion Mode work on Volumetrics? Or will I have to use "Scale" under "Transform"?

AFAIK, Distortion boxes only work on actual CPs. Use scale. Scale can be keyframed, btw.

• Hash Fellow
There are several options for "Add Turbulence", they all look like mathematical names. Do the all do the relatively the same thing, or is one better than the others?

I forget if there are dramatic differences. Try a few and render a few frames to see what happens. In the "Eat My Dust" tut in TAoA:M the picture of teh knight with dust at his foot shows some turbulence being used to give it a varied look.

I am wondering if I need to have the dust volumetric constrained to each foot bone. I am trying to get it to bloom when the foot strikes but then remains in place while the foot moves away. But the bone that I am translating moves all over the place even though the only direction that should move is in the z axis. But some places it moves up the y-axis (or down.) I have the x and y axis set to 0 and hold, so that the only thing that moves is in the z-axis. But something keeps messing me up. So I go back to my original question - do I have to constrain the dust to the foot?

• Hash Fellow
So I go back to my original question - do I have to constrain the dust to the foot?

Me... I'd just keyframe the Dust thingy to be where the foot is when I need it to be there instead of constraining it to the foot. Then it could hang around as long as I wanted after the foot left.

In the TAoA:M tut I think they were trying to incorporate the Dust effect into a Walk cycle action.