Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

MakerBot Thing-O-Matic - 3D Printer

agep

• Hash Fellow

I manually upped the res on my coin model and reapplied the map for this test before I did the PLY export.

I suppose it would be possible for the PLY plugin to be modified to permit more subdivision, perhaps x256?

But to really capture per pixel displacement you'd need zillions.

I'm wondering... why the bumps?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I've tested further and found that something about displacement creation is making the bumps. An object without a displacement map doesn't get the bumps.

Here's a test of exporting two grids, the one on the right has a flat gray displacement map on it. Teh bottom two windows are the PLY result imported back in.

PLY_makes_bumps.png

I've put that in as a "minor" priority AMReport.

I've tested further and found that something about displacement creation is making the bumps. An object without a displacement map doesn't get the bumps.

Here's a test of exporting two grids, the one on the right has a flat gray displacement map on it. Teh bottom two windows are the PLY result imported back in.

PLY_makes_bumps.png

I've put that in as a "minor" priority AMReport.

Do you know what the issue ID is? Since you already created a ticket, I would like to add a note to say that AM's ply files are also missing the proper headers.

• Hash Fellow
Do you know what the issue ID is? Since you already created a ticket, I would like to add a note to say that AM's ply files are also missing the proper headers.

That might be considered a separate issue, but give it a try.

Is the "header" just boilerplate text? Could you add it in a text editor?

• Hash Fellow
Unfortunately, the PLY plugin exports a binary file, although technically the ply format ca be either binary or ascii.

If you can point him to some documentation about what a proper PLY header is that might expedite it.