Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Action Bone reversal

Simon Edmondson

Kinks.actFollowing the recent advice here I am plodding along with my project. However, I have encountered a curious problem ( another you ask ? ).

I am going for the second pass on an action file to put it the hand and face movements when I noticed that, somehow or other, the left hand bone has reversed direction and is now pointing back along the forearm.

It still affects the cps of the hand but can go a bit wild when I try to move it.

Can anyone explain whats happened and, most importantly, how I can correct it ?

Thank you kindly in advance.

regards

simonFingers_Janitor_15.mdl

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to have solved the problem ( famous last words I know ) but am still uncertain as to the cause ?

The solution seems to be to delete all the positional key info in the action file and just have the rotation info.

I was unaware that I had changed the position but thats possibly just foolishness on my part.

One thing I did notice was that the roll handle on the bone had scaled to about 10 times the normal length ( ?) although it still seemed to work as normal. This has happened to me before.

Is it a problem others have had and, if so, what is the cause and, most importantly, does anyone have a solution ?

Thank you for your time.

regards

simon

I'm not sure what you did to get the highlighted items...I don't remember seeing those before . Normally, if you translated the bone, you would get something like "Transform.Translate.X". As far as the bone resizing...there is also a mention of "Bone Position.Length" in there. Deleting the highlighted stuff should clear it up.

Hope that helps.

kinks.png

I'm not sure what you did to get the highlighted items...I don't remember seeing those before . Normally, if you translated the bone, you would get something like "Transform.Translate.X". As far as the bone resizing...there is also a mention of "Bone Position.Length" in there. Deleting the highlighted stuff should clear it up.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much indeed for your feed back, it is much appreciated.

I deleted the extra info and (whisper it quietly ) it is working.

I may have hit a key on the keyboard by accident, but I didn't notice untill it affected the bones. I will have to try to remember if it happens again and perhaps post a caution(?)

Thank you for your time and help.

regards

simon

Is it a problem others have had and, if so, what is the cause and, most importantly, does anyone have a solution ?

I have had this problem, I do not know what the cause is, and you have found the solution (delete the funny channels). I have noticed it in previous versions of A:M, PC, maybe only certain rigs?

My caution is to not have other windows open when animating...probably superstition on my part.

I have had this problem, I do not know what the cause is, and you have found the solution (delete the funny channels). I have noticed it in previous versions of A:M, PC, maybe only certain rigs?

My caution is to not have other windows open when animating...probably superstition on my part.

Nancy.

Thank you for your reply.

I am working on an Imac under OSX 10.6 and wondered if that was part of it (?). I'm a fairly recent convert to Macs and my keyboard skills are lamentable so I thought they may be contributory too.

I'm doing the animation on the Mac but, the rendering will be PC based. I will let you know if there is any trouble. ( I'm using XP are you on W7 ? )

regards

simon

I'm using XP are you on W7 ?

I'm using xp pro sp3.

Nancy.

I'm trying to get the animation done by New Year so, can't check now but, I will let you know if there are any problems when I start rendering. I think the PC's are XP sp3 but will try to check before I set them going.

If it sounds like I am some flash concern (?) I should explain that the PC's are in my garden shed and are at least five years old or more but, while they are rendering away I can get on with the other stuff.

Have fun

simonf

I too have had unwanted "Bone Position" keys that made for very odd circumstances until i found them. Hopefully someone can deduce the misstep that creates them.

Rob

I've just found more on some action files I did around the same time.

The way they seem to manifest in the view frame is with extended roll handles on the bones or axis on the feet targets ?

I use a slightly wonky Wacom Intuos tablet ( it has a habit of 'freezing' every so often ) and I wondered if that might be an influencing factor ?

Now I'm aware of it, I look out for it but, I haven't spotted the cause yet .

regards

simon

Yes. Or sometimes only the tip and base of a bone will be visible.

Rob

I haven't had that yet ( or at least not noticed it yet ) but, working away today, I noticed another oddity.

I was working away on an action when I noticed that the boundary box that appears in the view window was sitting to the side of the object rather than around the object itself. ?

If I clicked on it in the PWS it would not resolve but, if I clicked on the object in the view window, the phantom box would disappear and the actual one resolve around the object. This happened with the hips and the foot target ( both nulls ?)

Are you working on a PC or a Mac ? Personally, I'm on a mac at the moment.

regards

simon

Ps

I tried to send you a message off forum but was not allowed to. It was in relation to your 2D wannabe link.

• Hash Fellow
I was working away on an action when I noticed that the boundary box that appears in the view window was sitting to the side of the object rather than around the object itself. ?

If I clicked on it in the PWS it would not resolve but, if I clicked on the object in the view window, the phantom box would disappear and the actual one resolve around the object. This happened with the hips and the foot target ( both nulls ?)

This sounds like a graphics card problem of drawing things in the right place. I've not had that.

Your drivers are up to date?

Are you working on a PC or a Mac ? Personally, I'm on a mac at the moment.

regards

simon

PC here. Did previous versions of A:M do this? Is this new? All the time?

Ps

I tried to send you a message off forum but was not allowed to. It was in relation to your 2D wannabe link.

You can email people thru the forum still i think.

This sounds like a graphics card problem of drawing things in the right place. I've not had that.

Your drivers are up to date?

I've just checked and, according to Apple, the software is up to date.

>>PC here. Did previous versions of A:M do this? Is this new? All the time?

I'm running 15J here following a recommendation a few months back. I don't recall it happening with earlier versions although, to be honest, the channels are not something I've been very observant off in the past.

One thing I have noticed with the current version is that ( whisper ) it doesn't always ask for the CD when I start it up (?).

As mentioned previously, my typing skills are not of the highest order ( for reasons I won't bore you with ) so, I sometimes hit the wrong keys when working and in the past I have attributed that as the cause of any troubles I may have had.

It doesn't happen all the time but it has happened to successive actions in the same project but affecting different b ones or nulls.

I noticed it on the left hand first ( the start of this thread ), checked the rest of the bones to find them clear.

On the next action it was the head and the right hand, the next the hips and the foot target... It doesn't appear to be consistent ( which is of course the worst type of problem ).

regards

simon

You can email people thru the forum still i think.

I'll try to find out how later.

• 3 weeks later...

An Update on the problems I had ben having with the mystery channels appearing in the PWS.

I'm still working away on the same project and I've had occasion to force Quit in the past few days, or the program has crashed .

When I reopen it later I notice that the actions folder has an asterisk against it, suggesting a change needs saving - even though I was not working on an action file at the time of the exit .

Has anyone else experienced this ?

regards

simon

Imac, OS X 10.65, 4GB of Ram.