sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Can Material Effectors be isolated to effect 1 single group?

jason1025

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They effect everything they touch...if you need a group ,groups to change best to use a pose

This is a poor example but its late

change.mov

change.zip

this is just changing color could do better exanmple if needed

I would probably use the gradient or another mixer to change setting..I did that with the snowman

• Hash Fellow

I think we pondered that previously and decided they could not. That's my recollection.

Anyone else have a work-around?

I suppose it needs something like light lists where you could define what objects are affected.

In a pinch i can imagine split render and compositing solutions that might suffice.

My problem with that solution is that I need a group of an object to go from 100% Transparent to 0% but from bottom to top. Kind of like a scanner scanning across a document.

It would be perfect if like Rob said a material effector had light list capabilities. Or another solution could be if in group properties there was an option like "Effected by material effector" On/Off

This is something I ran into with doing the Midnight's shield effects, however, my workaround was simply compositing. Render out only the object that needs the effector and render different layers according to their depth in the scene and composite them back together. It worked for the Midnight's shields at least :)

Also, wouldn't animating a gradient mat accomplish what you want?

Yes, I would suggest applying a gradient material to the group. Make the top attribute 100% transparent. Leave the bottom attribute untouched.

Apply the material to the group and adjust the gradient material shortcut on the model so the transition is to your taste.

Then translate the material shortcut in the model down until the whole group is transparent.

Make a new percentage pose.

While the pose window is open, there will be a new temporary Action in the Actions container. This temporary Action allows you to animate any group or material properties in the pose.

Click on the "Show More Than Drivers" icon next to the temporary Action and drill down until you see the gradient material.

When the Pose Slider is at 100%, Translate the material up until the whole group is visible.

If the group has any specularity or ambiance, you may need to slide the Pose Slider to 0% and set the Specular Intensity and Ambiance to 0%. Then move the Pose Slider to 100% and set those properties to their original values.

Also, wouldn't animating a gradient mat accomplish what you want?

Yes, I would suggest applying a gradient material to the group. Make the top attribute 100% transparent. Leave the bottom attribute untouched.

Apply the material to the group and adjust the gradient material shortcut on the model so the transition is to your taste.

Then translate the material shortcut in the model down until the whole group is transparent.

Make a new percentage pose.

While the pose window is open, there will be a new temporary Action in the Actions container. This temporary Action allows you to animate any group or material properties in the pose.

Click on the "Show More Than Drivers" icon next to the temporary Action and drill down until you see the gradient material.

When the Pose Slider is at 100%, Translate the material up until the whole group is visible.

If the group has any specularity or ambiance, you may need to slide the Pose Slider to 0% and set the Specular Intensity and Ambiance to 0%. Then move the Pose Slider to 100% and set those properties to their original values.

This is hard to wrap my head around. can someone make a quick video tutorial?