sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

3DS or OBJ export not exporting textures

oopstoons

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't had success with that when I've tried either, but don't know enough about export to polygons to know what to look for.

The OBJ exporter has that screen where it talks about renaming textures so it must be aware of them and it seems to be doing something...

Hopefully someone OBJ aware will chime in here.

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't had success with that when I've tried either, but don't know enough about export to polygons to know what to look for.

The OBJ exporter has that screen where it talks about renaming textures so it must be aware of them and it seems to be doing something...

Hopefully someone OBJ aware will chime in here.

I think the 3ds doesnt do that at all. OBJ does something like that, but you have to copy the textures in the same folder like the obj-file.

But the best exporter for polys in A:M is the directx-exporter. It can export textures, bone- and weight-animation and of course geometry.

*Fuchur*

Hey there! Well, this is something that I've done extensive fiddling with as my partner uses the OBJ format for his models and this has proven to be very challenging. The max export does not export texture maps and trying to load .max models from AM into other software generally causes that software to crash or not work. OBJ is the best so far for the export/import process. The OBJ for sure exports the diffuse colour of the groups, however glows and ambience and whatnot don't export.

As for texture maps, it will rename the textures into the 8 character requirements for poly software like 3DS Max, however, the mtl file never seems to associate itself with the model, even if the directories are correct in it.

So basically, if you must export into a poly program from AM, expect to do the texturing in the poly software. Fortunately you'll have the 8 character requirements, but unfortunately, most poly software uses UV mapping as opposed to decaling (my theory as to why the .mtl doesn't work and the textures don't assign).

Now a problem I had when trying to UV map in Max with an AM model, is the export is ugly at best. When the model gets unwrapped to be mapped, you'll find that there are a lot of broken pieces and very, very tiny faces that belong to the model. This is because the export disconnects pieces of the model. The most noticeable places are where there is a change in the specularity direction, however there are places so small you won't be able to tell until you unwrap the model see a hundred small dots unwrapped that you will have no idea where they belong.

Now the newest option I've been playing with is modeling and texturing in AM, but if it needs to interact with a Poly environment or model or whatever, you use compositing. Tricky yes and a fair amount of planning is needed (how many render layers will you need, shadow passes etc) but your results will be much better than trying to import an AM model into a Poly program

An obj-file itself doesnt contain such informations but the *.mtl-file does. I think it is only referenced by the name of the OBJ / MTL-file has.

*.max is another format that doesnt have anything to do with 3ds and it is very unlikely that it will ever be import/exportable from A:M.

*.max is even in high-level-exporter-programms like Deep Exploration or Polytrans only available if you own the autodesk program. Otherwise there is no possibility to export that.

The best way to interact with other programms is using the directX-format (as stated before).

This one imports quite well (not perfect of course and dont expect glow or something to export, but in the end that is really not that necessary...).

Texturemaps, Bone-Animations (not SmartSkins or stuff... just Bone and weights are exported) will be exported...

Regarding the UV-stuff... In the end A:M doesnt use another technique for UVs. It is just easier to use in A:M, but the basic principles are still the same.

For best results I recommend using Baking in A:M, but it can although work great without that.

I had sucess with exporting stuff from A:M to XSI AND Quest3d. It got there textured and with a bone-hierachy and animation and so on.

I dont recommend exporting at all, but if you have to, DirectX is the way to go till someone writes a good Collada / FBX-exporter.

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: For references you will find on my website my diploma-thesis (at least the practical part of it) which has been created with A:M, Quest3d and XSI which had to work together for that.

• 2 months later...