Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Upgrading breaks CD library

bill0287

I recently installed a AM 15.0c via the CD. Everything seems to be fine, I can view and access the CD library.

I downloaded the CD box version (windows) of 15.0j+.

After installation, the program started okay, but now my CD library is filled with question marks instead of the images which represent the content.

Is there some special way of applying these updates that won't break the CD link or some way to fix it?

(I emailed support, but haven't gotten a response yet).

Bill

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bill. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in here, but it sounds like you need to remap the path to the library file in your application folder.

First, look in your app folders if you have more than one version installed, and see where the .lbr file is physically located. For instance, I've got folders for v. 12, 13 and 15, but when I checked there's only a full version of the library in the folder for v.12 and a partial library in the v.15 folder, but you can add them both to your library list if you want.

With A:M open, click Tools>Options. In the window that opens, click the Folders tab. In the pull down menu there, select Libraries. What you need to do is map the location of the .lbr file, which will be located either in the Libraries folder or the Data folder (the actual models, rigs, props, etc. will be in the Data folder). The .lbr file is small, 2 or 4k.

You can select more than one .lbr file and add to the list in the Folders pane, and move them up and down if you like. I think the app accesses them in the order you put them in.

Restart and see if the libraries are appearing properly. Remember to select "All Libraries" at the top of the Library panel.

Also keep in mind that not many seasoned users actually use the Libraries panel. It's just as easy to hit Cmd-O, navigate to the Data folder and open the needed files manually. Not as streamlined, but it works. And if you import any elements from the libraries, be sure to "Save As...", otherwise any changes you make will be to the library item instead of your saved version of it.

Like I said this is my best guess and there may be a simpler way.

• Admin
Unfortunately, now whenever I try to install 15.0j on top of 15.0b, the application won't even open, it crashes.

If it's an installation problem then you'll have to reinstall but try this FIRST:

Hold the SHIFT key down while opening A:M.

That will tell A:M to open without any previous projects loaded.

Hope that works.

Regarding your Library files, we just need to point A:M to the correct location. This can be on the CD or the harddrive.

Personally, I recommend you copy all data files to your harddrive and then point A:M at the Library file.

(We'll help you with that)

Otherwise the data will be on the CD and will be write-protected.

This has the possibility of causing you some problems with saving those files down the road.

I have it working now.

I tricked the install by first installing the 15.0j+ patch, then installing the 15.0b on top of that, and then installing the 15.0j+ on top of that again. Now it works.

I also moved the Data folder from the CD to the disk and pointed at that.

• Hash Fellow

I'll point out that you don't need to use the library for any operation in A:M

A:M will open/save files like any other app using the file menu.

you can also RMB on any folder in the Project Workspace (Project, Images, Sounds, Materials,Objects,Chors...) to load or save any item (Project, Images,Sounds, Materials,Objects,Chors...)

This opens your universe to any file on your hard drive and not just ones that you've added to a library.