Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

AI wizard - I can not open AI files with the wizard

Hello,

Using the AI wizard I am trying to open an Ai file. nothing seems to happen. do I need Illustrator installed in my computer? the wizard opens and I can find the file when I finish I still have a blank model window.

Any suggestions would help

Thank you

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try a very simple AI file, just to test. And what AI version did you save it as?

Adobe Illustrator artwork 15.0 is the file it is pretty simple. do I need to save it as a different file, and How do I do that?

Thank you

You have to save it as a legacy-file.

AI 8 is the right one.

Just select in the save-dialog that you want to save it with that version (there should be a drop down).

Dont use Groups!

After that it should work.

*Fuchur*

Try a very simple AI file, just to test. And what AI version did you save it as?

Adobe Illustrator artwork 15.0 is the file it is pretty simple. do I need to save it as a different file, and How do I do that?

Thank you

You have to save it as a legacy-file.

AI 8 is the right one.

Just select in the save-dialog that you want to save it with that version (there should be a drop down).

Dont use Groups!

After that it should work.

*Fuchur*

Excellent, You are fantastic, saving it as version 8 worked. Thank you

I wish that the AI Wizard dialogue box had a line of text that warned about this... I've used the ai wizard HUNDREDS of times and will still occasionally forget to save as the right version... and EVERY new person goes thru this same thing. Perhaps I will make a request thru reports.

• Admin
I wish that the AI Wizard dialogue box had a line of text that warned about this... I've used the ai wizard HUNDREDS of times and will still occasionally forget to save as the right version... and EVERY new person goes thru this same thing. Perhaps I will make a request thru reports.

That's a pretty good suggestion.

A problem with this 'fix' is that suggesting that only version 8 format AI files be used isn't entirely accurate.

We can also use AI version 7 (and likely some other versions of the Adobe Illustrator format too).

I believe it was with AI version 9 that the format was changed significantly which caused the input incompatability with the plugin.

After a few years of suggesting AI version 7 I've (mostly) given up and joined the crowd recommending AI version 8 too. ;)

I wonder if the source code for the Font/AI wizard could be released/re-released to the A:M Community.

A note like "Please use AI-Format 7 or 8" (or even

But since we are now at something like AI 15 with 16 near I would not say that it is necessary to tell too much about it... People with AI 5 will try it anyway and People above should just save to 8 and the problem is gone.

It may not be 100% accurate, but it works and doesnt give any problems. So why bother...

*Fuchur*