Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

firework test1

sir fen the usa

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

You're on the right track there! Suggestions...

-the particles that trail the rocket as it goes up should fade out as they die instead of just blink out

-they need some gravity so they gradually fall instead of hanging in space where the rocket dropped them

-the big explosion should be one short burst instead of a continuous flow.

-the big burst particles could use some gravity too

Streaks could work very well for such things too.

You're on the right track there! Suggestions...

-the particles that trail the rocket as it goes up should fade out as they die instead of just blink out

-they need some gravity so they gradually fall instead of hanging in space where the rocket dropped them

-the big explosion should be one short burst instead of a continuous flow.

-the big burst particles could use some gravity too

Streaks could work very well for such things too.

yes i agree with all that you said.

how do i go about fading the rocket trail. is there a setting in the material or should i do it with a chor transparency move?

• Hash Fellow
how do i go about fading the rocket trail. is there a setting in the material or should i do it with a chor transparency move?

You can keyframe the Opacity property of the Sprite System>Sprite Emitter to go from 0 to 100 over time.

You can keyframe the Opacity property of the Sprite System>Sprite Emitter to go from 0 to 100 over time.

yes but is this done in chor? or the material itself? ive been trying to figure this it out....

• Hash Fellow

yes but is this done in chor? or the material itself? ive been trying to figure this it out....

Usually the material. It is possible to set these properties in the chor.

okay so i got it to trail better on the launch.

the explosion is my only problem. which parameter in the materiel will allow it to die out? i tried opacity but that seem to only work for the trail. i would like it to slowly die out.

i would think it would be life but that seem not an adjustable key frame. i could do it in the chor but would rather it be built into the material.

firework_test2.mov

• Hash Fellow

I envisioned something like this. This animates both transparency and color in the material and animates the emission rate in the chor.

CrysanthemumBoom01.mov

I prefer streaks for things like this because... they're streaks not images. They always have a tail in the direction they are moving.

ChrysanthemumBoom.prj

This could be drastically improved by a force with turbulence to scatter the particles a bit so they don't fall as a uniform sphere.

you don't necessarily have to use the same particle system for the rocket trail and for the explosion. Probably should not.

Particle effects are about experimenting over and over and over with slight changes in the parameters until you get what you want.

• Hash Fellow

Here's a variation with a slight scattering force from the side and some different treatments of animating the color of the particles including a sparkling fizzle at the end of the particle's life..

I slowed this down to 12 fps in QT Pro, I'm not sure if it will play that way in regualr QT player.

CrysanthemumBoom08H.mov

ChrysanthemumBoomFireworks08.prj

Here's a variation with a slight scattering force from the side and some different treatments of animating the color of the particles including a sparkling fizzle at the end of the particle's life..

I slowed this down to 12 fps in QT Pro, I'm not sure if it will play that way in regualr QT player.

CrysanthemumBoom08H.mov

ChrysanthemumBoomFireworks08.prj

that looks fantastic

okay so here is my attempt to combine sprites and streaks. im trying to not to just steal your streaks mat. which look so good and create my own but im having a hard time getting the control and look you have. i like the way my sprites kind of finish it off. i guess all i can do i just keep pulling your version apart until i reach your expertise on streaks but its a little rough. here is what i have so far. please give comments.

thanks

firework_test3.mov

• Hash Fellow

The biggest difference between yours and mine is you have the big burst happening for 100 frames. It's pretty but awfully long for a burst. Mine was just 4 frames and that was longish.

Explosions are really quick things. the fragments may burn for a while as they fall after that but the actual burst happens for just a few frames. I bet real fireworks are just a frame or two.

A animated the emission rate from 0 to thousands and back to 0 in the chor (not the material) over just a few frames.

When you get around to it - The main thing I see is that the velocity of the particles doesn't vary enough. They should move out very rapidly just after the explosion, then slow to a gradually expanding cloud, then stop expanding and fall with gravity for a while before they flame out. If you ever see somebody throw something out a car window at 60mph, that will give you the velocity curve.