sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Pose Slider Question

MJL

I made a model of a simple power switch. I created a pose slider for the switch that involved rotating the handle 90 degrees. I works just fine except that as the slider, and the handle that it controls, moves, the scale of the handle shrinks by about 50% at about 50% then scales back to normal at 100%. Th only thing I did when creating the pose slider was rotate the handle. I'm using 15G but I ran into this problem some months ago when working on the "Boogie Meter" for Gene's Two Trains video, so I don't think it has anything to do with the new release.

Probably something stupid I'm doing or not doing, but here's a few picks and the model. thanks.

1_Power_Switch0.jpg

2_Power_Switch0.jpg

3_Power_Switch0.jpg

Power_Switch.mdl

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Myron - you would be better off adding a bone to the lever and rotating the bone.

As you have it, you are moving the cps in a straight line - so it is an illusion that the lever is being scaled. You would have to move the cps in an arc.

But better to use a bone - much easier

powerswitchbones.mdl

Even though you may have used the rotate manipulator to pose the handle, you are actually translating the cps. Since the keys for the position are at 0% and 100%, A:M will will translate the cps from one position to the next. Your best bet is to create a bone for the handle (and assign the cps to it) and rotate the bone in the pose.

Nancy beat me to it. :)

• Hash Fellow
As you have it, you are moving the cps in a straight line - so it is an illusion that the lever is being scaled. You would have to move the cps in an arc.

In "The Animator's Survival Kit" Richard Williams gives examples of human inbetweeners making the same mistake as the computer does here.