sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

bolts and screws oh my...

bighop

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a simple round bolt or rivet head - set lathe cross sections to four in options. Open a new model and draw a diagonal with two cps. With one of the cps selected, hit "l" for lathe. Select the bottom four cps and delete them. Go to top view and you should see a circle with four cps. Connect the opposing cps with a spline - do this for both horizontal and vertical splines a- you should have a cross in the center of the circle. Select one of the center splines and add a cp by hitting "y". Select the other cp and hit "y". Now connect the two overlapping cps by selecting one of them with a left click - don't let go of the left mouse button, and then simultaneously hitting the right mouse button. This action connects the two center cps. To check the connection, move the center cp. If you don't see an underlying cp, then you did it right and they are connected. If you got it right, select the center cp and got to the front view. Now use the up arrow to move the center cp ...well, up :) You now have a basic round bolt head.

Very good ideas, this should work, but I was looking for a flat head screw too. I made a half of sphere and tried to put the slot in it but it doesn't look right. (The splines keep moving and distoring the shape, even when I lock it.)

I also tried welding to half spheres together, but that was creating more splines.

I have a model file of various connector hardware that I use regularly. I try to keep patch count low so you can add a lot of them to a model. The hex head bolts and nuts come in low and hi patch counts depending upon how much scrutiny they'll come under. If this looks useful, I can upload it to this thread.

connector_hardware.jpg

Rodger- your mechanical modeling is 2nd to none! I think more than a few of us could appreciate some 'hardware' from you...please! We have a new forum for model sharing...we'll have Rodney move your donation over to there after a while so it can be found for perpetuity.

• Hash Fellow

Rodger is one of the longest-time A:M users around and the mechanical modeling expert. Before he started showing his models it was common to hear people say "oh, A:M can only do cartoony stuff"

I have a model file of various connector hardware that I use regularly. I try to keep patch count low so you can add a lot of them to a model. The hex head bolts and nuts come in low and hi patch counts depending upon how much scrutiny they'll come under. If this looks useful, I can upload it to this thread.

Actually if you could put it in the "contributors cue" in the A:M Exchange sub forum it will get put into a category where more people can find it. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for Rodgers 'bolts and nuts' model in the contributors cue/models forum...can't find it! And I know I dl'd it...can't find it locally either! Where can I get these nuts and bolts?

EDIT: Found it locally...was called 'connector hardware'... but I could not see it on the CC...

-Thanks again Rodger!