sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

snap to grid

Master chief

OK i have been trying to add some roundness to my creations with circles and ovals and such . and to that point i have been using the lathe tool to create wheels that are well ...... round. but i have encountered a problem.

it seams that the lathe tool works on a 8 point system while the grid is only 4 . when i try to use the snap to grid option the points at 0 90 180 270 snap into correct position but the points at 45 135 225 315 snap to what ever point is closest. is there a way i can collect the cps as a full group and select only one of them to snap into the grid to aline the circle???

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

first ... you can change how many sections the lathe tool creates. The default is 8, but I have it set to 6 for most things.

Go to Tools > Options > Modeling and look for the box labeled "Lathe cross sections".

"Snap to Grid" is mis-named I think. I doesn't actually snap CPs to the grid. It snaps CPs a predefined distance when you move them. That distance is defined by your grid spacing (Tools > Options > Modeling > Grid Spacing). If your grid spacing is 5cm, the CP will jump in 5cm increments when you move it. If the CP happens to originate on a grid line, it looks like it is snapping to the grid, but it really isn't.

is there a way i can collect the cps as a full group and select only one of them to snap into the grid to aline the circle???

If I understand the question correctly, this might help:

Group-select the CPs.

[sHIFT]-Click on the CP (within the group) for which you want to define coordinates.

Click on the "Show Manipulator Properties" button in the toolbar.

Enter your values for X, Y and Z.

The [shift] selected CP will move to that location and the rest of the group will follow along.

Snap to Grid is named okay if you ask me.. it just has a bit strange behaviour if you edited the position of an existing point. Nevertheless that is useful too. It will not allow you to place a new CP anywhere but only on the grid.

For the lathe-options: Just CTRL + Click on the lathe-tool-button and the options will appear... makes things much faster.

*Fuchur*

If I understand the question correctly, this might help:

Group-select the CPs.

[sHIFT]-Click on the CP (within the group) for which you want to define coordinates.

Click on the "Show Manipulator Properties" button in the toolbar.

The [shift] selected CP will move to that location and the rest of the group will follow along.

Turn on "Show Manipulator Properties" button in the toolbar.

Get the pivot point of the snap grid or use 0,0,0

snap_cp1.jpg

Group-select the CPs. move the group near the grid point. Because as you enter each of the coordinates the group will jump.

snap_cp2.jpg

snap_cp3.jpg

Hope this will help. :)

This is HomeSlice I just cleaned it up.