sprockets TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

What is the "W" Channel

Timothy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Yes, W is a fourth component of the Quaternion rotation values. I have never read an explanation of them that matched up with what I was seeing.

you may sometimes read that Quaternions are bad because they are hard to edit, but the truth is most CG animators only have a fuzzy idea of what even X, Y and Z are about.

Quaternions do give vastly better interpolation for most character animation situations. Don't worry too much about the exact values, the real worth of the curve editor is seeing the slopes that go thru the keyframes.

Many times you can adjust an x y or z rotation and not bother with the W. If you do get an unexpected result, undo, then use the rotate manipulator to rotate the object on screen in the direction you wanted and observe the result in the graph.

I have no idea where Quaternia is.

Quaternions are a bit complex to understand but if you like to know all about it, visit this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion

If you want direct access to X, Y and Z values in the graph time line it can sometimes be easier to change the rotation driver to euler.