sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Positioning Actors

banson

I'm going through the second exercise, and I'm having an impossible time moving the actors into position. With an actor selected, moving the mouse left or right moves the actor left and right. Moving the mouse up or down moves the actor forward and back. How do I move the actors up and down? I'm sure its something stupid that I'm over looking, but I can't see it. Is there an easy way to select an actor when there are multiple models in the choreography, and is there an easy way to work with moving things around?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi banson,

Welcome to A:M Forums. Get to know the Project Workspace (PWS). In the PWS, click on the + sign next to the Choreography bar, and expand it. then click on the"shortcut to . . " for what ever model you're trying to activate. then click on the Translate button (N) or 'N' on the keyboard, you can then drag the model with the mouse or use the direction keys on you keyboard to move the model. Depending which view you are using at any given time the arrow keys will move the model right, left, up, or down. Read every part of your ToaA:M manual, it usually has the answers you are looking for concerning these exercises. Or, as you've already done, ask for help. Once again, Welcome.

tute.jpg

• Hash Fellow
Is there an easy way to select an actor when there are multiple models in the choreography, and is there an easy way to work with moving things around?

when two items overlap you can select a particular one by clicking the tip of its model bone

You can also make something unpickable (like the stage after you have postioned it) by toggling its hand icon in the Project workspace window.

To move up and down in a Choreography, Action or Model window, you can also hold down the [2] key on the keyboard (not the numerical keypad) while you drag the selection. You have to hold the [2] key before you start dragging ...

You can also switch to front view [2] on the Numerical Keypad, right view [4] on the Numerical Keypad or left view [6] on the Numerical Keypad and just drag the object up or down.

I had the same problem when I was at your lesson. I really liked using the arrow keys. That has become part of my workflow.

I just click on the model and the arrow keys let me move the model up, right, left or down. Depending on what view you are in it can easily help you position your models.

As for picking your model with multiple models in your choreography I have to go with MJL. The project workspace is by far the easiest way to do that. You will find you will need the project work space open at most times for almost all the lessons so you should try and get used to it as fast as you can.

Good luck. ;)

Hey Banson...and here's ANOTHER easy way of moving things in your choreography!

-Click on the object to be moved.

-In the properties window, unfold the 'Translate' arrow.

-Click-and-Drag on the X,Y, or Z numeric entries, or enter a value by hand. You will see the object move as you adjust, no matter what viewport you are in.

You can also use this method to rotate and scale, under their respective arrows. HAVE FUN!

Thanks everyone! It looks like TAOA:M manual skips telling you about a few of these items. Or at least they don't tell you early on when you're trying to walk through things. Your tips are making it a lot easier.

• Hash Fellow
Thanks everyone! It looks like TAOA:M manual skips telling you about a few of these items. Or at least they don't tell you early on when you're trying to walk through things. Your tips are making it a lot easier.

TAoA:M does list those keyboard shortcuts and does cover positioning things. Pay attention to the instructions, and dont' discard what you learned in the ones you've already done.