sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Camera Actions in Chor

MJL

I have two moves I need the camera to make. The first is a mere rotation pan done with key framing. But on the second I want the camera to follow a curved path starting at point A and ending at point B, using (I'm assuming) an aim at constraint. Is this done in the chor or in an action? Or is there some obvious "other" thing I'm missing?

Thanks, Myron

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two moves I need the camera to make. The first is a mere rotation pan done with key framing. But on the second I want the camera to follow a curved path starting at point A and ending at point B, using (I'm assuming) an aim at constraint. Is this done in the chor or in an action? Or is there some obvious "other" thing I'm missing?

Thanks, Myron

Typically camera motion is done in the chor. Have you tried something? And it didn't work? Need more info as to what's not working.

But to use "aim at constraint" for camera - I usually create a null in the chor. Then set the camera to aim at the null. I can then animate both the null, (to be where I want the center of interest to be) as well as animate (translate, roll) the camera.

One doesn't have to use a null - one can also keyframe the camera, using the "shortcut keys" while still viewing from the camera.

While in camera view (and the camera is selected in the PWS):

eg hit M (move) then while holding shift down, and moving the mouse up, down will cause the camera to move forward & back.

M, then holding ctrl, moving mouse up,down, left, right - will move the camera up, down, left, right

T(turn), holding shift, move mouse up,down,left, right - changes AIM of camera, up, down, left, right

T, holding ctrl, move mouse left, right - changes ROLL of camera

Edited by NancyGormezano

Thanks for your response and help, Nancy.

At point A there is a stationary rotate pan for 10 frames, then for the next 20 frames, I wish the camera move, following the path, { "aim at" constrained to the stationary null } ending at point B. :blink:

*Null Purchased Separately

LOL you edited while I was figuring out my screen capture software

camera_pan.jpg

Thanks again, Nancy.

I'm getting in over my head trying to do a Pass The Ball, I have the vision in my head, trying to get it to come out my monitor.

Those hot key moves are great to know, but my level of sophistication isn't quite there yet.

Do I just key frame the camera (at frame 10), constrain it to the path, then keyframe it to point B at 30 frames?(along with the Aim At constraint)

I'm after a continuous sweep.

Paths can sometimes be tricky - and sometimes it takes changing the order in which one does something - I think this will work for you:

1) frame 0 - add null to chor, create your path

2) move camera from frames 0-10 however you want.

3) on frame 11 constrain camera to path, set to translate only (important)

4) frame 11 - set aim at null constraint for camera - make sure you have compensate mode OFF (so that camera will aim at null exactly - (or else set offsets for constraint = 0) . Probably best to do steps 3,4 in this order.

5) set ease of path constraint = 0 on frame 11. Set ease of path constraint at frame N at 100% , where N = 30 = when you want the path movement to complete.

6) May the Null & Path Constraints be with You.

When I got to step 3 and constrained the camera to the path it jumped to the second CP node on the path. How do I stop that?

Also, do I constrain the Camera or the shortcut to the camera?

Edit: Idiot me, it won't let me constrain the camera, only the shortcut.

Thanks for gazing down from Mount Olympus. In the immortal words of Valentine Michael Smith: "I am only an egg."

hmmm...either the ease (for constraint to path ) is set to something other than 0, in which case set it to 0...or the path constraint has an OFFSET?

OR

If the ease = 0, offsets are 0, and the range for the chor action for path constraint is correct - then you might have modified your path and added a cp and sometime there is confusion as to what really is the first cp of the path (the beginning of the path). I'm really not sure about this. Like I said, paths can be tricky...and it also depends on soooo many other things. eg. like the order of chor actions for the camera and what range of frames each chor action is in effect. Make sure the chor action in which you set the path constraint for the camera is the last chor action for the camera - bluhhh...bluh bluh maybe? Check that path constraint chor is in the range of frames you intend for it to be in force.

I hope that wasn't tooooo confusing...

So - perhaps if ease is not the issue...start new? - go to frame 0 - delete the path - start new path ...make sure the first cp you put down is where you want to start

Believe it or not I almost think I understood you. For the first time ever I'm beginning to dabble with the "Graph Looking Window Thingee" in the PWS.

I had it almost working, but things weren't happening at the frames they were supposed to, and the camera was jumping along the path. But as my golf instructor use to tell me: "I can tell you're getting better, your're missing the ball closer than you used to!"

Am I right in thinking that I may need to refine some things in the timeline and the PWS Graph Looking Window Thingee?

Notated_pws_graph_windo_thingee.jpg

You nailed it, Robcat. I'll use that technique to graphically capture and display my falling on my knees in blubbering gratitude, thanking you profusely, . . . I'll forev . . . . wait . . .I'd have to animate that first . .. wouldn't I?

I'll examine that project file and implement the proper incantations

Robcat, Nancy, Thank You Sincerely, Myron

Here, have a cookie, there's a couple left and they're not even stale.

CC_Cookies0.jpg

With a little examination of the proj file, Rob, the color coding of the lines are apparent. I'll play around with things. I could probably try to copy and modify those actions and constraints. But I wanna learn how to do it from scratch, myself.

Unfortunately I gotta quit for now, and get ready to go play a gig. I'm anxious to get back to this and will post results.

:D :D :D

Thanks Again

• Hash Fellow

you can expand any item in the PWS and click on any element to see an individual curve.

You can CTRL-select any arbitrary set of elements, even from different models, to see those curves displayed together.

Robcat, Nancy,

Thanks again for your help. I watched your keyframe tutes and if you are a newbie reading this post, WATCH THOSE TUTES.

After a couple of days of fighting things. It all came together. On one key keyframe I needed to switch to the "in all filtered channels" and then everything worked.

Its just the opening, with no background, but I made tha camera do what I wanted!!! :D :D :D

Next up lighting and environs.

PTB_Opening.mov

Myron that's awesome. I kind of like the harsh lighting and the minimal background. It forces your attention on the action. It also transforms the fedora, which the the only thing of real color in the scene, into a symbol ... of something ... not sure what yet.

Nice work.