Code D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 real we need more than an hour. :glare:

The project is missing loads of files, but at a glance, you might turn off particles in the camera if you don't need them.

4 real i need help

Dear Code D,

If you are 'really' looking for help you will have to put in a little more effort on your part. The project file you posted does not have enough data in it for us to see what's happening. As you can see only a few models and a couple of materials are embedded:

Image1.jpg

Plus, we did not get any of the images that are being used. You need to:

1. Right click on the project in the PWS (at the very top) and select 'Embed all'

2. Select Project->Consolidate. This will create a project folder structure containing all of the project parts (we'll get the images)

3. Compress this folder structure using zip

4. Post this zip file.

I need to know if you have rendered any frames, if so, can you post one. Please also tell us how long it took to render or, how you know that its taking too long to render.

We all face the problem of render time -- there are many tricks to reduce it. It's nothing to see 1 to 2 hours per frame but sometimes its nothing to cut this in half or more.

Cheers,

Rusty

• Admin

There are a lot of ways to reduce render times.

Which do you want to choose?

Note the lack of options there to choose from?

This is very similar to your question too.

There isn't enough information from which to pick and choose.

Its easy to reduce but not if we don't have an idea of your goals.

The easy answer to 'how can I reduce' is 'cut stuff out'.

In loading your project one thing was very obvious as I clicked through the missing files (and there were many):

You've got a lot of materials in this project.

The first thing I'd do is limit the number of materials you use.

Now I hear you already say, "But I need those materials!"

Therein lies your answer to rendering improvement.

One technique to render materials faster is to convert them to images.

You can do this by creating a single patch, applying that material to the patch and rendering out an image.

Now the question becomes, 'Do you want to spend your time converting the material or waiting for the material to render?' There is an option there and the answer will vary on how you'll need to use the image.

If you plan to use that image extensively consider converting the material.

If you need the infinite resoluation of the material (i.e. the camera will be zooming out/in) consider using the original material.

Which materials do you need versus which will work better as images?

Can you more effectively decal an object rather than apply a complex material?

This represents one way out of many that you can reduce the time it takes to render.

Another way would be to convert your JPG images (you have several) to another format.

Knowing more about the images/compression/quality of the formats will help make that decision.

In the end there is a lot to consider but scheduling your renders is an important consideration as it may eliminate your need to reduce the render times at all (thereby saving you time in the setup and concern with it all). Consider setting up your renders for when you go to bed. Work at your scene during the day... at night render. As you wake up in the morning you'll be able to assess and adapt your projects to futher optimize and improve your images.

4 real i need help

Dear Code D,

If you are 'really' looking for help you will have to put in a little more effort on your part. The project file you posted does not have enough data in it for us to see what's happening. As you can see only a few models and a couple of materials are embedded:

post-26-1241200548_thumb.jpg

Plus, we did not get any of the images that are being used. You need to:

1. Right click on the project in the PWS (at the very top) and select 'Embed all'

2. Select Project->Consolidate. This will create a project folder structure containing all of the project parts (we'll get the images)

3. Compress this folder structure using zip

4. Post this zip file.

I need to know if you have rendered any frames, if so, can you post one. Please also tell us how long it took to render or, how you know that its taking too long to render.

We all face the problem of render time -- there are many tricks to reduce it. It's nothing to see 1 to 2 hours per frame but sometimes its nothing to cut this in half or more.

Cheers,

Rusty

When i try to consolidate this, the consolidate button is grey... so what do i do?

• Admin
When i try to consolidate this, the consolidate button is grey... so what do i do?

For a variety of reasons we must save our Project before we can cosolidate.

In short, saving ensures the Project knows where to find every resource associated.

So, save first.

Then the option to Consolidate should be available to you.

(Don't try to use the same name as your saved Project for your consolidation though as that won't work. This may seem silly but it keeps us from overwriting files when we don't want to)

ok i did it... i think

Dont think so... you need to provide a ZIP-file with all the images and other external material outside the PRJ-file (for example music-files, textures, rotoscopes, etc. You can create this with the Consolidate -> PRJ (not binary) and Zipped.

After that you may be ask if A:M should copy to a different folder. Say yes here.

This should work.

*Fuchur*