Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Help with Particle Sprites

Jeba

Hello,

I am new and I'm trying to find out how I can make my own patrticle sprites. I've done the Smok, Wind, Fire tutorial but I don't understand what does what, I just did it.

Can some one please guide me to a tutorial, or and explanation how to manipulate and come up with your own particle sprites?

Right now I'm trying to make a rocket with a trail of fire and smoke.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Jeba,

Here's where you get to put those exercises together and really make them work for you! :)

Remember that Exercise where you put the Rabbit on the path? (Exercise 5: Take a Walk)

If you put the Particle Emitter (that you created in Exercise 16: Smoke, Wind and Fire) on that path it will emit those particle sprites along the path.

To have the particles launch a rocket the same basic ideas are used.

You can make part of the rocket an emitter and then drop the rocket on a path.

Or... you could have both the rocket and the particle sprite emitter travel down (or up in this case) the path.

You have the tutorials (from the manual) and you have the knowledge.

Now you've just got to put them together.

Ask you questions and post your tests here. :)

Note also that in the last topic you posted to there is an example of a rocket with sprite particles attached. I believe there was even a project file for it.

P.S. Are you the Jeba? If you are you've got some pretty impressive skills.

Jeba,

Here's where you get to put those exercises together and really make them work for you! :)

Remember that Exercise where you put the Rabbit on the path? (Exercise 5: Take a Walk)

If you put the Particle Emitter (that you created in Exercise 16: Smoke, Wind and Fire) on that path it will emit those particle sprites along the path.

To have the particles launch a rocket the same basic ideas are used.

You can make part of the rocket an emitter and then drop the rocket on a path.

Or... you could have both the rocket and the particle sprite emitter travel down (or up in this case) the path.

You have the tutorials (from the manual) and you have the knowledge.

Now you've just got to put them together.

Ask you questions and post your tests here. :)

Note also that in the last topic you posted to there is an example of a rocket with sprite particles attached. I believe there was even a project file for it.

P.S. Are you the Jeba? If you are you've got some pretty impressive skills.

Thanks for the reply Rodney.

I'm not sure what jeba you are talking about?i'm a graphic designer/ illustrator and artist from UK... is that the jeba you're thinking about??

For some reason I'm having a problem dragging an explosion(material) i created onto my workspace. It's in the project workspace however will only be placed in the shortcuts to fill light, rim and keylight... yet i still cant see the explosion.

I'll try and upload my vid at some point.

-In sprite animations, only an image or image sequence can be used to emit. 'Flockings' may be what your thinking of...

-Shift 8 is the keyboard shortcut to turn particles/hair off and on in the workspace.

-This forum allows only Quicktime movies be posted.

-SOUNDS LIKE you have made a material and are trying to drag it into the choreography. You need to drag it into a model and assign it to a group, then drag THAT into the choreography.

-In sprite animations, only an image or image sequence can be used to emit. 'Flockings' may be what your thinking of...

-Shift 8 is the keyboard shortcut to turn particles/hair off and on in the workspace.

-SOUNDS LIKE you have made a material and are trying to drag it into the choreography. You need to drag it into a model and assign it to a group, then drag THAT into the choreography.

Hey..

In order to make an object an emmitter....you must first create a material that emitts whichever particle you want...

In the project workspace....right click on material.......choose "new Material"......then you will see Material created with a subfolder under it titled "ATTRIBUTE".......... Right click on the word "Attribute" and choose "CHANGE TYPE TO"........"PARTICLE SYSTEM"..........Choose from the list....Streaks, sprites, blobbies, fluid, or hair....

Then you have a basic partical emitter material created.

TO ATTACH IT TO AN OBJECT:

1. create a sphere from the primitives that come with hash. THEN drag select the sphere and name the group...."emitter" or something...doesn't matter what. You just want a group to attach the particle material to.

Drag the emitter partical you created earlier on to the group in the sphere model.

Start a new "action" using the sphere. Place some keyframes on the action.....IMPORTANT to make sure that in the options tab /Particles and hair is set to on..

If you run through the keys on the time slider, you should see a basic emitter taking place......

William

To all,

Thats amazing!! thanks for the help. I'm still pretty baffled but it helps me understand things a lot more. I'm gonna give tit a try and let you know how it goes.

But thanks v.much.

Hey..

In order to make an object an emmitter....you must first create a material that emitts whichever particle you want...

In the project workspace....right click on material.......choose "new Material"......then you will see Material created with a subfolder under it titled "ATTRIBUTE".......... Right click on the word "Attribute" and choose "CHANGE TYPE TO"........"PARTICLE SYSTEM"..........Choose from the list....Streaks, sprites, blobbies, fluid, or hair....

Then you have a basic partical emitter material created.

TO ATTACH IT TO AN OBJECT:

1. create a sphere from the primitives that come with hash. THEN drag select the sphere and name the group...."emitter" or something...doesn't matter what. You just want a group to attach the particle material to.

Drag the emitter partical you created earlier on to the group in the sphere model.

Start a new "action" using the sphere. Place some keyframes on the action.....IMPORTANT to make sure that in the options tab /Particles and hair is set to on..

If you run through the keys on the time slider, you should see a basic emitter taking place......

William

Hi Jeba and welcome to the forums! Hang in there, some of these finer points take a lot of trial and error.

And I am not, NOT, going to make a crude joke about "giving tit a try", it's clearly a typo, I'm not I swear I'm not...

but c'mon, I had to at least mention it!