sprockets Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Green Screen

washbucket

I looked inside of the forum and also in the manual maybe I just missed it some where, if I want a video to play inside of my choreography like a person sitting in a chair watching a movie on a tv with it playing or do I have to use the green screen affect to get the movie to play on the tv. thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to import live action footage of a person sitting in a chair? Or do you want to show a real movie on a model of a TV in your chor?

For a person sitting in a chair, people have used a green screen for that kind of thing. You will get better results if you import the footage into an editing or compositing app and create an alpha channel before your bring it into AM.

For a movie playing on a model of a TV in the chor, just convert the movie footage into a quickrime movie (mpeg4 compression works pretty good) and apply it to the tv as an animated decal.

• Admin

There are a lot of misconceptions out there about green screens.

In many cases you don't need them.

For instance, if you just want to add your video to the screen of a modeled TV in A:M, no green screen is required.

If you are wanting to change your original video in some way, such as replace a prop behind an actor in the video, your video will most likely require green screen or equivalent. (If you've already completed your video... its a little too late for green screen)

Before looking into green screen effects I'd suggest you read up on Alpha Channels first.

They'll help you understand better what can be accomplished with and without greenscreens as you composite your images.

The short answer of it though is: If you are not changing the video you don't need greenscreen.

Add the video into your scene as a Patch Image, Decal, Rotoscope or Layer.

Please feel free to explore your project here.

• Admin

Here is a topic the goes into detail how to apply a sequential series of images (or video) as a decal on a TV screen.

If you do a search for 'television' in the Newbies forum you'll find more discussions of the same:

Decaling a TV screen

Some older topics:

This one doesn't go into specific procedures but echos the thought that green screen is not the most desirable solution in many cases. http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20970

There are quite a few related topics of interest in the old CG & Live Action forum.

It should be noted that most of these go into different areas than what you need here.

Thanks every one for the help, i am making a news room scene and when the anchorman goes live to a on site

location I wanted that video to play behind the anchorman on a screen, on other 3d programs I had to use a green

screen affect to have the other video play behind the anchor which when I had to use a video editor the videos

always came out glassy looking when I had to dub over them to mix them together, I am very glad to see i don't have

to do this in A.M. I have a news room already in 3d I cannot get the face look that I want so I turned to A.M. for that and the deep real look that it offers, here is my news room now from my other program www.thesnipersquad.com and as you will see no exspression on the characters. the video is at the bottom of the website. thanks again for a great program I will not be buying the subscription next time but I will buy the whole program for 300.00 it's very powerful. thanks again

• Admin
I will not be buying the subscription next time but I will buy the whole program for 300.00

I want to encourage you to purchase the CD if that is the way you want to go but... you have the whole program already.

For the $299 you'll get the permanancy of the CD, the hard copy Manual and Technical Reference as well as the Extra projects, models, materials, tutorials and such so its still a very good deal.I hope you don't think you've got only part of the program now though.

There is only one Animation:Master and if you've got v15 you've got it already. :)

I visited your website but my browser crashed so... maybe I'll try that again later.

I might have had too many things open on my end.

Regarding the greenscreening.

As long as your anchorman isn't a real human being it sounds like you won't need to use green screening.

If you do find yourself needing to green screen... A:M can assist with that too.

Good luck with your projects and keep us posted on your progress!