sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

2 New Characters

Pengy

These are two chars I've been workin on for an animation to go with my studios logo. The penguin is my mascot so to speak and the antagonist in the short. The construction guy is the antagony (I know its not a word but it sounds good..lol) I still have to texture him and add porcelin.

post-7-1076292507.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having problems with the construction guys head. It looks ok from the front and profile but there is something off with the 3/4 look. I've spent too much time with him and can't see clearly so any suggestions would be great.

post-7-1076293176.jpg

• Hash Fellow

They look quite promising! how about a fold in his chin (a double chin) to give it some detail? It looks like there's a bulge between his upper lip and nose?... that looks a little odd.

But they look like real animation characters!

Pengy,

I like your characters, they look like they will be fun to work with. The penguin is very cute!

The man's head looks very cube-like. You need to round-off the corners of the head.

What I do, to help get smooth and rounder overall shapes early on, is hide everything except a quarter of the head (work on a back up or copy if you are afraid to ruin what you have already), say from the ear up to the top center of the head. Then rotate that section around in shaded-wireframe mode or wireframe mode (with lots of progressive renders) and tweak control point by control point until you see the corners smoothing out. Change the angle you view it from and tweak some more, change the angle again, tweak some more. You can't trust just the front and side views, you need to keep seeing the model from all around. It's a lot easier when you don't have the rest of the model in the way.

Focus on making the patches as square as possible and of equal size (which it seems you have done pretty well already), and in a nice smooth shape. Then unhide the rest and compare.

HTH,

Jim

Thank you for your advice it's sometime hard to see the forest for the trees. I'm sure following the advice will improve him greatly and as these will be what all potential clients will see they need to be as good as possible. Thanks again and I will post more updates.

Here's an update. Did quite a bit of tweaking to round the head and tried for the double chin but that still needs work. The bare batch in forehead is from redoing a spline now the mat won't reapply..any suggestions?Thanks as always

post-7-1076382200.jpg

The bare batch in forehead is from redoing a spline now the mat won't reapply..any suggestions?

Hey Pengy,

I think you can fix the bare patch by selecting the group that it used to belong to, then hold the shift key down and select each CP in the affected area and along the edge. This will add them back into the group. You may have to save, close the project and re-open for it to appear correct.

Keep splining

Glenn

• 1 month later...

Here's an update to my construction guy. Followed Jim's excellent tutorials and applied the colour decal. I darkened the colour of the skin a bit to give him a little tan since he works outside. I went fairly easy on the bump map I want him to still be a little cartoony. Used a decal for the blue jeans and learned more about how they are put together than I really wanted to know :rolleyes: I also updated him into 10.5r and applied the hair for the moustache. I found an excellent tutorial for doing this on the ARM, actually helped me understand how the hair works! Thank you all for your suggestions and I look forward to hearing more opinions.

post-7-1078893536.jpg

I forgot to mention I worked on the eyeballs as well and this leads me to a question. I was wondering how most people deal with the eyelids, do you use part of the geometry of the face?...Or duplicate the front half of the eyeball and use that? Thanks again

• 2 months later...

Hi Pengy ...

I believe if you do some small and simple adjustments, you can increase character's appearance.. i did a small corrections as you can see in the image below

There are other areas that those adjustments can help, mainly in turn of the ear and nose.

keep good job ....

Xtaz

1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on this guy, tried to fix some of the issues. I changed the ear and nose I like these ones better. I'm also going to redo the maps since I deleted half his face. As always any C&C is appreciated

post-7-1086137502.jpg