sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

event horizon

Master chief

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Get some reference. A black hole is a rip in space that sucks everything into it (a vent?). Because it's black and so is space, the only way to distinguish it is to show the matter being sucked toward it. The basic structure would be a sort of funnel and for the matter you could use sprites ie particle images.

black-hole.jpg

It might be easier to do this in "post". Distort the final render rather than trying to do it in "3D". For instance you could decal a rendered sequence of the objects getting sucked into the singularity onto a grid. Then using the AM tools like scaling, the distortion grid and the magnet tool, "suck" the grid down into the black hole. This could produce a pretty amazing effect. The decaled grid could be over background elements not being effected by the black hole. You could also add in some mist or smoke or particle effects to enhance the "sucking".

You would of course need to render the "sucked" objects out with an alpha so they could be layered onto the 3D scene.

EDIT: Coool! You could even do camera movements with this technique so the sucked objects look 3D as the camera pans or moves around. Just use the same camera to render the original sequence used for the decal and the final effect.

I look forward to seeing the results. I wish I had some time to try this myself.

-vern

You might get some ideas from the animated distortion box tutorial.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29730

Another thing you might try is to make a grid,then create a pose that distorts the grid into a funnel. Then apply an animated bump map of a swirling spiral (2-3 seconds in length - you can set the animation to repeat indefinitely using "post extrapolation". Make the grid partially transparent with some kind of refraction so items behind it will appear distorted.

But in the end, you are going to have to blaze a trail. One of the beautiful things about AM is that it allows you to blaze trails. Good Lick. Can't wait to see what you come up with.