Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

John3d I need you!

I've posted on this twice before and also put in a Hash/reports request, but so far the problem persists for me. Since I am not getting any feedback other than that the problem is resolved (this from Hash/reports as of V.14 - it is not resolved for me on any version up to V.15a), I am posting this again in hopes of finding my sanity and getting satisfaction in knowing that this is not only in my head.

It doesn't matter which tileable image I use for the bitmapPlus material, the problem is the same. When I add a displacement value to the material and apply it to a group in any model, that goup become invisible in quick and final render.

Sometimes it gets worse and I get large blocky artifacts and or the program crashes. I just started a brand new project and imported a random tileable texture from my collection. Next I made a Bitmap material with the texture and specified 400 for the displacement value. Going into the Object folder I created a new object. This was a simple line which I lathed and then extruded once. Upon selecting all cps, I named that group "test." Now I dragged the bitmap material onto the "test" group and did a quick render. As I watched the render progress, I noticed that the object started to disappear as the render was scanning down the page and then AM crashed about 1/3 into the render. In other words there is still a major issue with bitmap and displacement values.

This whole process took me about 4 minutes to do from start to finish, or should I say from start to crash. Would someone please take the time to check this out and save me from BitMapPlus hell? Maybe I am missing a step or somehow getting the sequence wrong, but I just can't get BitMap to work with a displacement value. If anyone can do this, please post a render of a model with bitmap applied on one half and the other half without. I don't hink it can be done at this point, please prove me wrong.

To one of my earlier posts someone replied that BitMap has no option for displacement, well, that's wrong and the pic below shows where that option is.

post-12221-1221101543_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eric

I got the same results apparently the plugin does not work with displacement but why not bake the surface and use the appropriate decal for displacement

I started to play around using one of the sprite images and got this

bakedisplace.mov

same model twice once filpped used animated displacement % over time to distort model and reveal flare then added some sound for fun

Thanks for trying this out and letting me know that I'm not the only one to have this problem.

The reason I really wanted to get Bitmap to work with displacement is the fact that it wraps itself so nicely around pretty much any surface without much distortion. This lends itself nicely for terrain such as caves and such. If distortion would work, the possibilities would be endless.

Could you give me a little insight into baking decals? What is the purpose for doing this and how is it done?