Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Posing Problem

playerktw

Hello AM'ers.... been away for awhile, now I'm back. I've been having a problem for some time and haven't seen a forum that addresses this, there are so many to look through. When I'm posing a model periodically the figure will appear to stop moving (except a small area) and I have to click off the figure to regain control of the mouse, meanwhile the figure will have moved. It's difficult to control the posing when you can't see where you're moving something to. I've tried posing in wireframe, shaded, both and the problem still happens. It comes and goes as I'm moving bones about. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Kevin

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a realtime rendering problem, Kevin? If so, try using OpenGL instead of DirectX. Do you have hair turned on? Turning that off would speed things up. What model are you using? How many patches are in that model? How many objects are in the scene? How fast is your processor? How much RAM do you have?

Not certain how to tell if I'm using OpenGL or DirectX.

Can check the hair but I'm not using any models with hair.

This is happening with any model I've tried, Rabbit, KeeKat, the Knight.

Patches I'm not certain.

One object so far.

My processor is an AMD 64 X2 4600+ with 2.0GB RAM

This has never been a problem with anyother 3d software I use, Maya 8.5, Poser, Cinema 4D or Vue 6.

Thanks for the quick reply itsjustme.

Not sure if this is the same thing but..........

I have recently tried my hand at animating and noticed If your in an action window and are doing pose to pose type animation u should try using the scroll bar next to the play & stop buttons to make sure your at the last frame of the action. I noticed that sometimes it wont stop on the right frame ( maybe 1 frame before) causing movement when I try to click on a bone to do the next pose.

Hope this helps

Somewhere in here there's a thread with advice to disable something in Vista for A:M, although I don't know that it was about your particular problem.

What version of AM?

Wasn't it about disabling "Aero"...or whatever the fancy desktop crap is called in Vista? I remember that caused some problems.

• Hash Fellow
Wasn't it about disabling "Aero"...or whatever the fancy desktop crap is called in Vista? I remember that caused some problems.

Somehow the phrase "compose desktop" comes to mind, but i have no idea really....

I have the same problem and it's simply the computer running out of resources. Number one son taking pity on Dad dropped off a better one with a faster processor, 3D card, etc and testing it with an old version of AM I have on CD, found that things move with the mouse with no delay no matter how much stuff I load into a choreography. My problem now is that the web subscription v15 was downloaded to the resource-stretched computer...

Yes, I get this too (as well as the old rotation flipping thing). I'll have to take a screenshot to show it. My guess is it's the video drivers haven't quite caught up with Vista yet. I have an amd/ati card.

2GB of RAM should be more than enough, I don't think increasing the virtual memory will make a difference, but it can't hurt to try it. I don't run Vista, so I'm not sure how much RAM it ties up...have you tried turning off some of the services running in the background?

Well it seems to be working ok now. I've expanded the virtual memory (not certain if that mattered or not) and I'm not running anything in the background. But I can move models around reliably. Thanks to everyone for your advice, the AM forums are truly the best bunch of people.