Master chief

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

it may be just taking a lonnnnggggg time. I've had OBJ imports that looked frozen but eventually finished. like an hour.

Try one over night to give it a chance.

A very dense OBJ may be hopeless.

• Hash Fellow

OBJ is a common format. There are free open source apps that use it. But you'd have to learn how to model in that other app to edit a model.

If the OBJ is made of triangles it will be a bad candidate for use in AM.

ok any way to modify a OBJ file with out the use of 3D max 9

Actually it is a Maya-format...

But anyway: What do you want to import there? It is normal behaviour that an import of obj, 3ds oder lwo is standing still for a while and will continue later.

Normally it comes in, but it may just take a long time.

And normally it is not worth it...

*Fuchur*

Here are some example of the same model I made in one of opensource app and export both in OBJ format. The first one has about 3480 faces, and the second one has about 12862 faces. They both are imported without any problem, but I am sure that I do not want to spend about 3-4 days trying to fix them. I think you are better off modeling your model in A:M as others have suggested. At the meant time I am still trying to figure out the best way to model in poly and import it into A:M without having to fix it, but this will not be that easy. I have seen someone does it in ZB but not sure how.

CHEERS!

post-12016-1216336903_thumb.jpg

post-12016-1216337041.jpg

so what your saying is taht if it has 35000 faces it will take 2-3 days to load?

We cant predict how long excatly, I wouldnt say 2-3 days but a few hours isnt unusual. I would just try it out.

But as other said: You will run into problems by importing into a model.

If the model is static, you can import it as a polymodel, but if you need to animate it, you cant import it as poly.

What we are all saying is: It is most often just not worth it. You can see the creases in the model from stormedfx. it will very likely look the same.

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Do a simple test first.

You'er trying to extract a model from a game?

Extract something really, really small first. See if that works.

And if it comes in with all triangles, you'll know not to bother with anything bigger because that will have all triangles too, and models made of all triangels are not salvageable.

If it's quads, then maybe, but you'll have to do a lot of thinning.