Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Apply a texture to a pose, from which I can then return to the original

djr33

In short, I need to apply a texture onto an object, but within the shapes defined in an action. I think this may be possible using poses, but couldn't find the answer.

(For a few more details, I'm trying to apply one image to the end of a morphing shape's action, then render that out; apply the other to the beginning; once those two are moved in the same way, a simple fade between the clips will create a smooth, 3D morphing transition between them.)

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In short, I need to apply a texture onto an object, but within the shapes defined in an action. I think this may be possible using poses, but couldn't find the answer.

(For a few more details, I'm trying to apply one image to the end of a morphing shape's action, then render that out; apply the other to the beginning; once those two are moved in the same way, a simple fade between the clips will create a smooth, 3D morphing transition between them.)

First You will need to apply your decals in the action:

Go into the action and go to the frame that shows the shape that you want to apply the first decal

right click on the model (Under Objects not in the action but while still in the action window, select new/ decal/ image name, right click/apply

go to other frame that shows the second shape - do the same as above

Then you will need to create a new relationship (pose) for your model that will transition between the 2 decals by changing the percentage that each decal shows

ie at 0% of the pose decal 1 shows 100% and decal 2 shows 0%

at 100% of the pose decal 1 shows 0% and decal 2 shows 100%

• Hash Fellow

It is possible to apply a decal from the camera view in the chor, so possibly you could apply decals to a mesh that has been distorted. The fade-in/fade-out is something you'd have to achieve by editing the channels for the decal after the fact in the PWS.

I forget the exact workflow for applying decals from the camera view. THere has been a discussion of it on the forum several years ago. Look for "camera mapping"

I appreciate the fast replies. I'll see what happens with the suggestions.

And the fade won't be a problem. Everything else will work fine, aside from applying the decal (that is, until I figure it out ).

WOW! That's a great toot! Just watched the whole thing and learned some stuff! Is that YOU john? If I ever start doing tutorials where you can actually hear my voice I'm going to adapt an 'overly' Brittish or Indian accent... works a charm in all those Maya toots! Plus- it sorta lends an air of 'credibilitiy'... my normal voice is way too 'street'... no nixx that, my normal voice is too --- oh crap! I'm crossing some sort of 'line' arent I?

Thanks for the tutorial. In this case, fading between them in the program won't actually work like that, because they are coming from different ends of the timeline. Either way, I'll take a closer look at that for future projects.

And here's what I ended up with. This is conceptual, so there are problems, but it's very effective.

http://disk.truthandliesmovie.com/ammorphtest.mov