Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Sonic Project

Hello all,

I started a new project with my friend. (I have a lot of WIPs going on don't I? Oh well.) I'm going to make a sonic animation. I know, I can't come up with any of my own ideas. I started the face but I need an opinion about the eyes. I can't decide if I should use one sphere, or two spheres.

EDIT: I did not make this one:

post-11238-1208207754.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help Fresh. Do you think I should I add the two pupils as decals or materials?

EDIT: I forgot to mention: Sonic the hedgehog belongs to SEGA © and Sonic Team ©

Don't want to get mixed up in any legal issues.

i wouldn´t go for decals or material for the pupil since you want to animate the character and you want to be able to move the pupils separately. as far as i can see he has no iris, so there´s no need for a decal or material. just model a black "kind of sphere" (looks more like an oval shape) and position it at the right place of the eye that he looks straight forward... then add bones to the pupils that have their pivot at the middle of the eye-sphere and the tip on the pupil. then anywhere you turn the eyes they will be sliding on the surface of the giant eyeball... that´s how i would do that.

That's a nice effect with the toon looking eyes. A null would be easier to control them I guess.

I just checked the compression of your .mov file, and you are not using a compressed format, which is why you are getting such large files. In the advanced render settings, where you choose 'quicktime movie', you can click Set, which gives you a list of other compressions. I use Sorenson 3, others use Mpeg, or H264. The default one, Animation, which is what you used, is not very compressed, if at all.

Thanks Caroline,

My next step is to create the brow and hair. I should probably use a (I think this is the proper term) solid mesh. Also, does anyone have any suggestion of how I should keep the eyes alligned? I tried using one bone but that didn't work well. I also tried creating a kinematic constraint between the two eye bones but that didn't work either.

Create a null in bones mode. Right click > New Null.

Then constrain the eye bones to the null - (Aim At Constraint, I would think)

Then when you move the null, they eye bones will always aim at the null.

Solid mesh? I don't understand that term. Do you mean a separate skull cap? Or do you mean modelled hair rather than particle hair. For a cartoony character, that might be the way to go.

The problem I'm having with the eyes being connected to the nulls is not having the eyes constrain to the null, it's having the eyes being able to turn move around the face. I have the eye bones placed in the middle of the sphere so they can rotate without penetrating the the face (I've attached a screenshot of that). Attaching a null wouldn't work because the eyes would just stay connected.

As for the brow, and hair. What I want to accomplish is the brow being attached to the hair, and the hair being modeld.

post-11238-1208311631_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help Caroline, but I just have one last quesion about the project file you posted. When I click on the file to save it, it just opens a new tab and has a command string, or something like that.

Hyperchaotix,

I'm glad you like the project so far. :) Welcome to Hash.

• 2 weeks later...