Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

kitchen modeling

hi @ all,

i´m modeling a kitchen for my next project, and i´m not that experienced with mechanical modeling. i´m starting with the fridge and i´ve already got a problem:

it´s a retro-fridge with a rounded front, and i really have serious problems getting this thing smooth... screenshots attached, how would you do the splineage?

Bild_20.png

Bild_21.png

Bild_22.png

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the splineage isn't bad. Perhaps u should apply the porcelain material to help smooth it out?

i already tried that, but it only makes it a little better... i´m just asking myself if there´s a technique how to do that without adjusting cps and bias handles for hours...

Yves has a good tutorial on beveling that i used to model some aircraft parts.

Theres another one on the forum that used a train model but was able to find it. hope this helps

The link listed above was the one I was looking for

this is really strange... i figured out how to make my smooth rounded bevels so far, but when i move/flip/rotate or whatever my model the bias-handles go nuts!

screenshot attached, the right model is before rotating, the left one after.... i´m going crazy readjusting the gammas all the time!!! has anyone an idea what´s going on?

Bild_23.png

My experience has been that it's the signs of the bias values "automatically" flipping and hence being incorrect for the new orientation. As far back as the 90's, this has been the case. You will also notice that it happens when you tweak one half of a model and then copy, flip and attach. After attaching, sometimes the copied bias have the correct signs and the originals flip. It doesn't happen to every bias so you just have to prepare yourself to patiently inspect your wireframe and make sure all the bias values match. You can avoid it if you model with such high density patches that all bias values stay 0.0 but this would likely be even more tedious than checking for flipped bias signs.

Since it's been around so long I assume it's a feature that's unlikley to change.

My experience has been that it's the signs of the bias values "automatically" flipping and hence being incorrect for the new orientation. As far back as the 90's, this has been the case. You will also notice that it happens when you tweak one half of a model and then copy, flip and attach. After attaching, sometimes the copied bias have the correct signs and the originals flip. It doesn't happen to every bias so you just have to prepare yourself to patiently inspect your wireframe and make sure all the bias values match. You can avoid it if you model with such high density patches that all bias values stay 0.0 but this would likely be even more tedious than checking for flipped bias signs.

Since it's been around so long I assume it's a feature that's unlikley to change.

thanks. this helped a lot, i enjoyed visiting your site, much utilizable information there, i would have never figured that out by my own with the signs i guess..

• 2 weeks later...

all right... table, chairs and some accessories still missing, but i thought it´s time for a post...

i´ve never lit a indoorshot yet and i´m really not sure about the lighting at all... what would you guys recommend? i need something that renders quick since i want to do a short in this kitchen, so radiosity is to be ignored, i only have 2 computers for rendering... any suggestions? right now i have two rims outside the room, one causing z-buffered shadows, two low valued fill lights inside the room and one bulb light under the ceiling causing shadows too...

Bild_26.png

Bild_27.png

kitchentesting.jpg

all right... table, chairs and some accessories still missing, but i thought it´s time for a post...

i´ve never lit a indoorshot yet and i´m really not sure about the lighting at all... what would you guys recommend? i need something that renders quick since i want to do a short in this kitchen, so radiosity is to be ignored, i only have 2 computers for rendering... any suggestions? right now i have two rims outside the room, one causing z-buffered shadows, two low valued fill lights inside the room and one bulb light under the ceiling causing shadows too...

I think that i could do with a center piece, like a counter with some newspaper on it, coffee or something. maybe a few stools to sit in, too. I love the look so far :D

Radiosity is the way to go imo.

Put a half dome colored blue with 60 percent trans around the entire thing, one kleig light on the outside shining through the window.

The light should be slightly yellow and about 80 percent intensity, with 0 percent width and falloff softness. 180 degrees and put it just on the inside of the sphere.

This will give realistic ambient lighting from the atmosphere, and everything looks better with radiosity :D

Radiosity is the way to go imo.

Put a half dome colored blue with 60 percent trans around the entire thing, one kleig light on the outside shining through the window.

The light should be slightly yellow and about 80 percent intensity, with 0 percent width and falloff softness. 180 degrees and put it just on the inside of the sphere.

This will give realistic ambient lighting from the atmosphere, and everything looks better with radiosity :D

thanks, sounds good, i´ll give it a shot.... here´s a little update, chairs, table and trashcan added...

Wow! That's amazing Fresh! :lol: The only thing I think you should fix is the reflectivity in the window. It's very well done, but for some reason looks strange at first sight... Though I could be wrong, plus who am I to know? :rolleyes:

thanks masna, i´ll adjust the reflectivity of the windows when i modeled the outside terrain, i think it´s better to decide after that...

here´s another quick update, i re-lit the scene, think it looks much better now. thanks to ben for the advice, i´ve made the dome and put a klieg slightly outside with 180° cone-angle, 100% intensity, causing raytraced shadows with 2 rays... then i added another klieg right under the ceiling, 180° again, 60% density, same shadow settings as the other klieg to simulate a bit of a radiosity-feel. i corrected the gamma slightly, provided the whole scene with 15% global illumination, and gave the walls an ambience intensity of 10%.

i also added decals which shade the corners of the walls and ceiling to intensify the radiosity-fake (still far away from radiosity, i know ;)).... i´m almost happy with it right now since my render time is at 18 minutes for vga-resolution and 9 passes, i can live with everything that doesn´t cross 30 minutes per frame... but there are sill some areas where i would wish better looking shadows, i would love to get some ideas on that...

i know it still looks too clean right now, next things will be dirt-maps and some more stuff lying around, a spice shelf and some other things...

kitchen_new.jpg

i know it still looks too clean right now, next things will be dirt-maps and some more stuff lying around, a spice shelf and some other things...

You might already have these in the plans, but here are some suggestions ...

- less reflection on the cabinet fronts , table top, and fridge.

- a back-splash on the countertop.

- a back-splash which includes a timer and a clock on the stove, and perhaps an extra plug

Other than that, it looks great! (Okay, even with that, it looks great.)