Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Is it possible to do this?

rikdiculous

Dear Animation Masters:

I'm new to A:M and this forum and I'm getting the modeling and such down but the technical stuff...not so much. I hate to say it but I have that love/ hate relationship with A:M. I love the creative side but hate the technical/ computer side. I know several of you feel my pain. Anyway, I'm interested in making a very simple memory game using A:M and I was wondering if there's a plug in that allows a user to interact with the animation...meaning I model the objects, set up the animation and choreography, and during the animation you can click on the objects with a mouse to make them do certain things (flip over, stop, change colors, etc). Has anyone written such a program? I looked at the training videos for sale and one said something about making video games using A:M but I'm not even ready to tackle doing that yet...just something basic. Any thoughts? Thank for reading. -PM

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
I'm interested in making a very simple memory game using A:M and I was wondering if there's a plug in that allows a user to interact with the animation...meaning I model the objects, set up the animation and choreography, and during the animation you can click on the objects with a mouse to make them do certain things (flip over, stop, change colors, etc). Has anyone written such a program? I looked at the training videos for sale and one said something about making video games using A:M but I'm not even ready to tackle doing that yet...just something basic. Any thoughts?

The short answer (at the current moment) is "No". Not in the true sense of it.

The long answer can be as varied as your ideas and ability to experiment, test and apply what you learn to your goal.

When the next HAMR release is made public this might serve to satisfy many of your needs but the release date is not close as far as I know. Much still needs to be refined and perfected and such things take time (and a very dedicated programmer!).

You can create some of the things you mention in A:M for use in A:M but anyone you need to access the data and functionality would have to own A:M too. Good news there of course... only $49 for A:M!

You'll want to investigate the use of Constraints and Constraint Limits as well as Dynamics in A:M.

A wonderful example of one 'application' created with such a setup is 'the Squetch Rig'.

Some very innovative users of A:M designed the Squetch Rig interface with controls for animating all kinds of movement in the face.

While not specifically on target with your goals... the basic premise behind it is the same.

There is at least one Tech Talk that demonstrates interactive movement where objects moved effect others in ways compatible with your goals. I believe its still linked in the Tutorials forum. It is 'tech talked' by Noel I believe.

Animating the color of something via another object should be fairly straightforward as well.

Look at the Squetch Rig and see the Null targets control colors changed by Pose Sliders rather than muscles of the face.

How to do all of this... yikes... I dunno.

Sorry. I can't program inside or outside of A:M.

Setups like the Squetch Rig do demonstrate how its possible though.

When HAMR is released it will help move these capabilities even further out into the world.

From the sounds of it, you'd probably be better of modeling using A:M, but then go with some kind of game builder that uses a 3D engine to actually make the game.

Not really... most game-builder-proggys are very very unintuitive and most often not very powerful.

A:M is definitly better to model things... the problem occurs when you try to get the models from A:M to the Engine, but if the engine does import the *.x-format, the obsidian-exporter will be very very useful.

There are some other exporters like the *.obj from Arthur Walasak which can help very much too...

3d Game Studio, Torque or Quest3d can be what you are searching for. All of them should work quite well with models modelled in A:M because all of them can read in *.x-files or at least an exporter is available. (Obsidian has a Torque-Exporter too).

*Fuchur*

I've just been looking into something very similar to what you want. 3D gamestudio, it can convert A:M models into 3DGS. From there you can program your game. I have yet to purchase 3DGS, but it looks like a very neat program. You could look at Emilio's tutorial: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...50&hl=games

Hope that helps,

Masna