sprockets Hans Donuts Featured USS Midnight spotlight Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Techniques, Software, etc for making a long clip or movie

Jentham2000

Hi Everyone,

Someday I hope to make my own commercial, and perhaps even a short clip.

I know I am WAY ahead of myself, but I am curious....

When creating a clip, do you create 4 or 5 choreography projects and then paste them together? If so, can it be done in A:M or is something else required? What techniques does someone use and has anyone ever made a tutorial or training vid for this.

Also, I would someday like to add text in the clip such as subtitles and a tag at the end. Can it be done in A:M or is something else required? What techniques does someone use and has anyone ever made a tutorial or training vid for this.

Thanks again, Bob

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say first of all that you can do everything in AM.

Having said that, sometimes its easier not to.

I tend to draw or get given a shot of what I is needed in each segment of a scene in a storyboard sheet or you could use 3/4 ratio rectangles. Then I scan this in and put together an animatic using AM or whatever(I use premiere pro).That way you can edit the sequence without wasting animation.

I then model and set up each scene in am using one chor. per scene. If the direction calls for camera inserts or different shots in that scene, its all done in that cho(mostly)

Sometimes I use the same cho for different scenes, or just one cho for the whole thing. It just depends on what seems easier.Then I animate each scene and render a test mov, placing each finished test in place of the storyboard shot. And check it out for editing

Once the tests are done or re-done, I render out each frame as numbered tga's in named folders. Then bring it all together -compositing- sfx,vocals and frames using premiere pro.

You could add titles in the compositing stage, or simply make models of the text using font wizard in AM and use that

That's not exactly the workflow...but it sounds cool! Maybe once A:M's linear editor is finished it could work that way...

For now, you would need to make single chors...render them out and then edit them together using an editorial or compositing application...OR A:M's V15 editor when available (is it now?)

You'll get the hang of it. When I dabbled into learning Maya, I couldn't figure out that workflow at all. They just have 1 window where you model and animate and build your scene. A:M's is easier to grasp with separate models that can contain poses. Actions that are reusable and transferrable from character to character- and choreographies where the stage is set and lit and rendered... I find it a very 'sane' workflow.

You also should look at your 3D package as a 'footage generator'...not unlike a video camera. Would you want to shoot and edit a TV commercial or show all in the camera? Purists would say 'you could' but realists would say 'use an editor'.

One thing I've learned using A:M is there's no such thing as the right answer. There's always ten ways to do something. Confusing at first, of course, but eventually that same fact becomes a lifesaver... when you've got a big project and you're out of time, you have a number of options and you can choose the most expeditious.

I received the video editor on Friday.....

Attached is a clip that I am experimenting with adding:

1. Video

2. Text in the lower right

3. Credits at the end

4. Sound clip

None of these items are complete, there just samples put together to learn how to the video editor.

Thanks again for everyones help....

Regards, Bob

UseforCommercal.mpg

Thanks John, I really appreciate your help!!

I'm coming from a Mechanical Engineering background in Pro/e. I have always enjoyed others animations, but , never had a chance to get into it. I started this company a few years ago and now I figure this is my chance.

Thanks again, Bob