Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Make him look old

mschoenhals

Hi all!

I've got this skeleton I'm working on and I want to make the surface look older. I'd like to keep it simple and found some of the tutorials rather complex (like UV mapping). Anyone have a good suggestion on how to weather his joints? It looks like the weathering option is gone from version 13; is there something similar?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to avoid decalling at this stage, I think the easiest way would be go get a good texture map of a weathered material, you probably can find one for old bone in fact, and import it in your Images folder. Then create a New Material, change it to BitMapPlus, then in the options for BitMapPlus, select your old bone texture map as the image. Then just drag and drop this new Material onto your model. BitMapPlus will wrap this texture map around your model.

To add bumps or displacement effects, make a grayscale version of your texture map (keeping in mind that darker areas will look pushed in and lighter areas will look bumped out), then create another new Material, change it to BitMapPlus again, but this time select your grayscale map as the image. Then in the Properties of the new Material, give the Bump Percent a value for a bump map effect or Displace Percent for a displacement map (start at 100% then adjust it based on what you want). Just drag and drop this Material on the model too. The first one will handle the color, and this second one will handle the bump.

Hope this helps!

-Jim

K, that was totally cool! The effect was amazing! Wow! I've seriously have allot to learn when it comes to this stuff (obviously).

Thanks very much for your help Jim!

If you want to avoid decalling at this stage, I think the easiest way would be go get a good texture map of a weathered material, you probably can find one for old bone in fact, and import it in your Images folder. Then create a New Material, change it to BitMapPlus, then in the options for BitMapPlus, select your old bone texture map as the image. Then just drag and drop this new Material onto your model. BitMapPlus will wrap this texture map around your model.

To add bumps or displacement effects, make a grayscale version of your texture map (keeping in mind that darker areas will look pushed in and lighter areas will look bumped out), then create another new Material, change it to BitMapPlus again, but this time select your grayscale map as the image. Then in the Properties of the new Material, give the Bump Percent a value for a bump map effect or Displace Percent for a displacement map (start at 100% then adjust it based on what you want). Just drag and drop this Material on the model too. The first one will handle the color, and this second one will handle the bump.

Hope this helps!

-Jim

Hello ...

You could also play around with the "roughness" and "roughness scale" under the "surface" properties. This will help to break up the color with what appears to be a surface displacement. Not sure if this is what you might also mean by "weathering". The included image should also help to explain.

Bruce

SurfaceRoughness.jpg

Hello ...

You could also play around with the "roughness" and "roughness scale" under the "surface" properties. This will help to break up the color with what appears to be a surface displacement. Not sure if this is what you might also mean by "weathering". The included image should also help to explain.

Bruce

SurfaceRoughness.jpg

There used to be a dented or crumpled (trying to remember which - not at my pc right now) texture that came with older versions of AM, I think that would really help aging, I've used it for rotted teeth in the past.