sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First time posting -- maybe

Although I've been reading the forum for quite a few months, this may be the first time I post. (Edite: ok, I got 4 posts, so it's not really the first time... but still, I think this is the first time I post an image)

post-4933-1188358125_thumb.jpg

This is the main character from a 2D Chinese RPG game "Sword of Hsuan Yuan" (The Ultimate Sword) version 3 made in 1999 (meaning the original design credit is not mine at all). By turning him 3D and "real-looking", hopefully I am not violating any copyright law.

I am thinking of using this picture (or an improved version) to enter the Sci-Fi image contest.

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you'd violate the copywright, but it's a sticky subject. There's a lot of talk about it here on the forum. Several of our members are quite savy when it comes to those laws. You can check around the forum and see what issues other users have come up against. Nice work so far.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Here is a new version (I added arm wrap, added materials to cloth parts, and also put the sword to his back).

post-4933-1188361588_thumb.jpg

Well, worst comes to worst, I can withdraw from the competition if the game company's response is against it.

By the way, here is the original poster of the original game.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/zh/4/47/Swd3cover.jpg

Yeah, there are quite some differences between my model and the original design... the only excuse I have is that I am aiming for "realistic" incarnation :P

Nice job! This is going to rock!

The hand needs some work.

Just grip something of the same width

and at the same angle

to see what needs to be changed.

Right now it doesn't seem to be holding the sword at all.

Hmmmm, maybe that was intended.

The joints seem oddly positioned along the fingers.

"Hey, you looking at me!?"

To save time (at least that was the intention), I skipped the "add bone" process, and rely mainly on muscle mode.

That's why the hand seemed a bit weird... in later versions I sort of fixed the hand problem.

For the hair, I used the fur function (v12, to be upgraded when cash is more abundent).

Basically, each clump means one seperate group of patches to adjust.

I also added a semi-3D title (strictly Hash AM) to make it seem like a poster or a book cover.

(The calligraphy design was from the original game, but I only turned it semi-3D.)

post-4933-1188586643_thumb.jpg

Tittle of this picture is: The Ultimate Sword

(PS: the little hair pinching through the ear is really annoying, but in later version it seemed to be fixed.)

In the next step, I am adding a French braid, using the v10 hair function.

However, it takes a lot of time to render those v10 hairs.

Maybe I have to hand in without the braid.