Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

TGA sequence import causing problems

I rendered out a 10 second clip to TGA in HDTV-1080 format. This is for the Challenger flyby, so much of the scene is on a black background. The render went fine, but when I try to import the sequence back into AM I get into trouble. There are 300 TGAs. If I select them all at once to import, AM give me a message saying "too many files selected at once." If I select 50 at a time, I can get around 200 loaded and then I start getting blank TGAs imported or #011 errors, and sometimes the fatal #001 shutdown. I have a 2.66 GHz CPU with 1.5 GB of ram. Is this an AM issue or a memory related issue?

Anyone else ever try an import of TGAs of that length in 1080 format?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rendered out a 10 second clip to TGA in HDTV-1080 format. This is for the Challenger flyby, so much of the scene is on a black background. The render went fine, but when I try to import the sequence back into AM I get into trouble. There are 300 TGAs. If I select them all at once to import, AM give me a message saying "too many files selected at once." If I select 50 at a time, I can get around 200 loaded and then I start getting blank TGAs imported or #011 errors, and sometimes the fatal #001 shutdown. I have a 2.66 GHz CPU with 1.5 GB of ram. Is this an AM issue or a memory related issue?

Anyone else ever try an import of TGAs of that length in 1080 format?

By the sound of it I think ram is the problem. Try geting a extra gb in and see how it goes with 2gb of ram.

You are selecting them each one by its own?

Just select one and select the checkbox in the left down checkbox "TGA-Sequence" or something like that.

That will import it as an image-sequence which is handle like a video.

That should normally do what you are after and it should work out right.

*Fuchur*

If you right click the Images Folder, then left click Import > Animation or Image Sequence, then click on the first tga, then all the sequence is loaded. It looks like only one is loaded, but if you have a look at the properties, it says Start 0 End 91 (or however many tgas).

If you then apply that one image, - for example , a rotoscope for a camera, or a layer so that you can use the alpha channel, - when you move the timeline along, you will see the animation.

(The tgas I just tested are numbered Thom000.tga - Thom090.tga)

I tested it with v14 beta 9, but I'm sure I used to do it with v13 as well.

How are you wanting to use your sequence?

Fuchur and Caroline:

You guys made me go back step by step and really look at what was happening. In the PWS - which was the place I concentrated on, there was no sign that more than one TGA was imported. But in the Properties section, just like you posted Caroline, the "start" and "end" values confirmed that all TGAs were imported. No wonder I ran out of memory when I tried to import all 300 TGAs as image sequences. That's 90,000 TGAs at 1920 x 1200 resolution!!!!

Thanks guys for setting me straight.

Sincerely

Eric