Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Making charecter solid

Sean delgatto

Hey everyone I'm sure I missed something but How do you make charecters solid, meaning that if one charecters cross pathes with something they wond go through it. Also if a charecter goes to pick something up that it attaches to them when they pick it up and detaches when they set it down.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think in the choreography window you right click and to make two characters not go through each other you could try using the rigid body function and for them to pick something up i think there is a constraint button. tutorial six shows how that is done sort of. i hope that this helped at least a little bit.

i think in the choreography window you right click and to make two characters not go through each other you could try using the rigid body function and for them to pick something up i think there is a constraint button. tutorial six shows how that is done sort of. i hope that this helped at least a little bit.

Ther is no magic way to make a character not pass through another model if you are refering to normal animating. That is up to the animator to control. For special situation as in simcloth you have to add the material and set it to be cloth or a defector to stop the cloth from breaking through.

Even companies like Pixar don't have a magic tool to avoid intersection of objects and characters... arms through the body... etc. The animators themselves must carefully pose characters to avoid this.

There was an interesting thing mentioned in the audio commentary of "Over the Hedge". The animators were reading the script and kept mentioning how hard it was to have the characters hugging each other all the time. They tried to keep the hugging to a minimum.

Rigid bodies in AM is used mostly for dynamic effects like... bouncing objects against each other etc, draping cloth. It is mostly used for specific short effects and not generally used continuously through out an animation to prevent the passing of one object through another. Actually I doubt it would make that any easier and may not work since it isn't precise enough and you would need to simulate those dynamics while animating limiting the freedom of the process. It is easier to simply avoid pass through on a case by case situation than rely on the computer to constantly calculate those intersections.

Cloth and hair have options for collision detection but those would be considered "special effects" and usually limited to where they are needed. And they do use more computer resources.

There is no simple way to avoid intersection of objects except in "doing it by hand".

Linking an object to a hand however can be done using a constraint as mentioned. Even then you must make sure the fingers won't go through the object.

-vern