sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Creating Caricatures

caltim

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying AM. Love what I see so far. I have been using POSER and from the looks of things AM is much faster and better at everything. Hand down!

I am most interested in taking client's faces and sticking them in Caricature 3D commericals. Here is an example.

http://www.horsepowerads.com/

In Poser there is a feature that allows you to take a front photo and side photo and the program will map them into a new face for your model. Is there a feature like that in AM?

Thanks for the help! GREAT forum too!

-TV

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
In Poser there is a feature that allows you to take a front photo and side photo and the program will map them into a new face for your model. Is there a feature like that in AM?

Sure is. You can use decals to get it done.

I would imagine you'll want to set up a custom system where you can grab a photo and bring it in on demand but a lot depends on your end goal.

There are a lot of options to consider.

Depending on the level of quality you are after you may or may not need to touch up the decal in a graphics program like GIMP or Photoshop.

There are models on the Extra DVD that comes with A:M where you could add your faces to the existing decal and then deform the model to the desired caricature.

If you want to go really basic you can animate/manipulate just the images alone.

For absolute best quality in your model (especially for animation) you'll want to model and decal your caricature from scratch.

It can be a lot of work but the payoff is worth it in the final product; a fully animatible caricatured character.

In any case A:M gives you the tools to do the job.

Sure is. You can use decals to get it done.

I would imagine you'll want to set up a custom system where you can grab a photo and bring it in on demand.

Depending on the level of quality you are after you may or may not need to touch up the decal in a graphics program like GIMP or Photoshop.

There are models on the Extra DVD that comes with A:M where you could add your faces to the existing decal and then deform the model to the desired caricature.

For absolute best quality in your model (especially for animation) you'll want to just model and decal your caricature from scratch.

In any case A:M gives you the tools to do the job.

AWESOME! Thanks Rodney! Really appreciate that fast feedback!

• Admin

Others can provide their insights too.

There are a lot of ways to tackle that job.

I'm a big fan of caricature so thought I'd leap on your post.

I haven't yet put the practice of caricature into 3D.

Mostly I just draw friends and acquaintences in 2D.

I'm definitely out of practice as yesterday I drew two coworkers and... it didn't resemble them so much. ;)

It was what they were doing in the drawings that clued them in more than anything.

Others can provide their insights too.

There are a lot of ways to tackle that job.

I'm a big fan of caricature so thought I'd leap on your post.

I haven't yet put the practice of caricature into 3D.

Mostly I just draw friends and acquaintences in 2D.

I'm definitely out of practice as yesterday I drew two coworkers and... it didn't resemble them so much. ;)

It was what they were doing in the drawings that clued them in more than anything.

We have one client that just doesn't look good on camera. So the Caricature is perfect.

Caltim---

2 things...

1) THANKS for that 'horsepowerads.com' link...that is AWESOME! Not so much the animation...it's good...but the fact that the guy is MARKETING to Car Dealers, I want to do the same thing. Car dealers...and cable advertisers in general...don't have the 'big-budgets' that the big chains have. But...with a good ad and some smart media buys they can see their sales MULTIPLY! AND- animators who work expediently and independantly can provide a valuable service and turn a nice profit. Here's a recent similar sample I made in A:M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ59K_vGRVU

2) I see NO indication on that website that they are using Poser. Are they?

3) NO program will make it 'easy' to make animated characatures. Just like in real life...you go to an amusement park, there's a booth there where you can sit and get a cartoon characature of yourself...you might notice they use pastels, so can YOU just go buy some cheap pastels kit and start drawing characatures...? Short answer....NO. Long answer...YES!-with practice. There is an art and science behind a simple characature...sure it looks easy...but make the nose too big or small and you learn the difference between FUNNY and INSULTING real quick.

4) To answer your general question...yes-A:M is fully able to do what you want out of it...and then some!

GOOD LUCK!

Caltim---

2 things...

1) THANKS for that 'horsepowerads.com' link...that is AWESOME! Not so much the animation...it's good...but the fact that the guy is MARKETING to Car Dealers, I want to do the same thing. Car dealers...and cable advertisers in general...don't have the 'big-budgets' that the big chains have. But...with a good ad and some smart media buys they can see their sales MULTIPLY! AND- animators who work expediently and independantly can provide a valuable service and turn a nice profit. Here's a recent similar sample I made in A:M:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ59K_vGRVU

2) I see NO indication on that website that they are using Poser. Are they?

3) NO program will make it 'easy' to make animated characatures. Just like in real life...you go to an amusement park, there's a booth there where you can sit and get a cartoon characature of yourself...you might notice they use pastels, so can YOU just go buy some cheap pastels kit and start drawing characatures...? Short answer....NO. Long answer...YES!-with practice. There is an art and science behind a simple characature...sure it looks easy...but make the nose too big or small and you learn the difference between FUNNY and INSULTING real quick.

4) To answer your general question...yes-A:M is fully able to do what you want out of it...and then some!

GOOD LUCK!

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. No, they don't use Poser. I am fairly intermidate with Poser. So AM shouldn't be a problem. Been through some of the tutorials.

Here is a link to some of my work. The Horespower Ads were hired to do the owner. Look for the Harrelson Ford spots. www.vogelproductions.com/twc.htm