Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Example of going from path actions to Choreography action

Jeetman

Here's an animation I created to try to help out Technodandy in going from path animation to breaking from the path and continuing with a choreography action. Here's the finished product. I didn't make it perfect.

Also, after seeing how cool it looked I wondered if I could modify the Hash Rabbit and give him a superman (or bunny in this case) costume. It was relatively easy to make the costume so here it is. It's not great but still pretty cool.

Here are the steps I did for the animation. I'm sure there are a few things I could have done differently (like use blend to match up the path actions) but I at least accomplished my goal.

I took the walk cycle I created a while ago and deleted all but the first pose. I turned off the "has stride length" option and created a quick walking to standing action and saved it as "my walk to stop.act".

I then created a path, constrained the super_rabbit model and used the same "my walk" action (I created from the book a long time ago) that I also used for the first pose in my "my walk to stop.act" animation.

I set the ease to 100 and the enforcement to 0 at the end of the path. I adjusted the red bar of the walking animation to be at the end of the last cycle by stretching or shrinking the end. I imported the "walk to standing" action and placed it with a frame or 2 of overlap. I then created a choreography action and moved the starting point to be right after the "walk to standing" animation which also has the constrain to path set to 0. I then created a choreography action of him touching his face, looking up, squatting down and flying in the air.

The hard part was lining up the model bone to match the ending path animation (the walking to standing one not the walking one).

Because this was just a test, I did not go all out to make this a movie release. I didn't for example try to match up the smile and eye lids as you'll probably notice.

I did what I wanted to do. I went from a constrained path to breaking from the path to complete control by using a choreography action. The only reason my original suggestion didn't work (besides the fact I was wrong about having to set the position before hand) is because apparently you can't smoothly go from a "cycle" action to a choreography action. BUT, if you add a non-cycle action (I.E. no stride length set), to the character and place it at the end where it lines up with the end of the cycle animation it blends quite well.

I hope this is helpful to someone. It was fun figuring it out.

Super_Rabbit2.mdl

And here's the decal for the symbol on his chest.

super_bunny.jpg

Here's the super_bunny. You'll need A:M 14 to use it though.

path_to_choreography_action_with_super_bunny.mov

George

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

George - thank you for this. This technique is just what I needed! I have been having that same problem, going from a cycling path animation to a choreography action. What a great idea! Thanks.

And the Super-Bunny is a hoot!

- Michael