Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Assistance with Luxo Lamp for ABC

Hi All -

I have nearly completed modeling the lamp I will use to continue ABC training. If I can complete this model and successfully rig this sucker, I'll post the model up for all to use.

I have two questions which are stopping me from completing this model:

1) The lamp shade itself. I lathed the shade and then I added points to create the slotted cutouts (see images LuxoLampShade-Render and LuxoLampShade-Closeup for examples). When I added the points, the top-middle section of the lampshade is no longer smooth. What I'm wondering is, how would you recommend I create the slots in the lampshade to keep it nice and smooth?

2) For the lamp's springs, I am currently using cylinders (and for the sake of ABC, I may continue to do so). But if I was to truly model this lamp, I would have to create tiny spring coils which would probably be a nightmare. How would you recommend creating the small springs for the lamp?

I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks all!

- Michael

post-8824-1171069216_thumb.jpg

post-8824-1171069223_thumb.jpg

post-8824-1171069231_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts/opinions:

1)To regain your smoothness, I would suggest adding a spline between the the cps you added. And then adding a pair of cps to the new spline to keep it from rendering as a patch. ('Y' adds a cp and keeps the bias)

2)I would think a nice texture would work fine for the springs. And as the texture would have to be so small to simulate that type of spring, it wouldn't matter if it was just a bunch of tiny rings. No one will get close enough to see it's wrong! Or if you used a decal, it would stretch with the 'spring' cylinder.

Great model sir. :D

• Hash Fellow

This is more of an design thing... but I'd recommend much shorter arms and a wider base. It will be very hard to pose that model and keep it looking convincingly balanced. Look at the Pixar Luxo and it is really quite squat in its proportions.

Thanks, Chrury - I'll give the CPs a try and see if it smoothes things out.

I completely agree, Rob. I modeled this using a pic of an actual Luxo lamp. The Pixar version is a very modified version. After modeling it, I decided I would shorten the arms so that it would be easier to animate. I hadn't done it yet, because I wanted to solve my current issues first :D. And thanks for the link. I'm about to read it right now.

Thanks for the spring model and the technique. I'll go play with that as well :D.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I'm going to start applying these as soon as I read Rob's link :).

- Michael

('Y' adds a cp and keeps the bias)

[Y] doesn't retain the shape of the spline, although I wish there were a [sHIFT+Y] there's not, this to my knowledge.

After clicking [A] and holding [sHIFT] a CP will be added and the spline-shape will be retained.

Niels

1) The lamp shade itself. I lathed the shade and then I added points to create the slotted cutouts (see images LuxoLampShade-Render and LuxoLampShade-Closeup for examples). When I added the points, the top-middle section of the lampshade is no longer smooth. What I'm wondering is, how would you recommend I create the slots in the lampshade to keep it nice and smooth?

Try transparency decals for the vent holes; they are a small enough detail that you shouldn't need to model them.

Nice job thus far =)

Try transparency decals for the vent holes; they are a small enough detail that you shouldn't need to model them.

Nice job thus far =)

Now that sounds like a fantastic idea! Ditch the model and just decal the vents - WOO HOO! Thanks!

- Michael

Hi All -

I've started rigging the Luxo lamp and I could really use some help. I've gotten as far as I can on my own, but I'm not sure how to properly rig this.

As you can see from the images, when I straighten the arms of the lamp, they actually separate from their pivot points where they would naturally be attached. I'm not sure how to constrain this.

I have attached an image of the bones, the model pulling apart, and the hierarchy list in the workspace window.

If anyone has any help to give, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

- Michael

post-8824-1171523663_thumb.jpg

post-8824-1171524189_thumb.jpg

post-8824-1171524221.jpg

One thing you can do to keep the arms where they are supposed to is use a bone for each arm rather then one bone for the whole upper rig. Then create an on/off relationship (set it to on) and have one of the bones orient like the other at all times.

To get the area where the arms connect to the lamp aiming right should be fairly simple also. Attach the "neck" bone to the upper arm, put a null at the end of the lower arm bone, and in the relationship tell that "neck" bone to aim at the null.

You can also add various constraints in that relationship to keep the bones from moving in ways they shouldn't.

One thing you can do to keep the arms where they are supposed to is use a bone for each arm rather then one bone for the whole upper rig. Then create an on/off relationship (set it to on) and have one of the bones orient like the other at all times.

To get the area where the arms connect to the lamp aiming right should be fairly simple also. Attach the "neck" bone to the upper arm, put a null at the end of the lower arm bone, and in the relationship tell that "neck" bone to aim at the null.

You can also add various constraints in that relationship to keep the bones from moving in ways they shouldn't.

Hi Nekosei -

Thanks for the reply. Pardon my n00bness, but I actually do not know how to do any of the steps you mentioned. I created the separate arm bones like you mentioned, but I do not know how to set up the on/off relationship. Also, I'm not sure how to add the null to the lower arm bone.

I'm assuming I do the things you mentioned in the Action window and not the Modeling window. If you wouldn't mind, could you please break the steps down for me?

Thanks.

- Michael

Hey Michael, great model thus far (a lot more in depth than I expected from the mention of a lamp.) I am mediocre at best when rigging, but if I'm not mistaken, to solve your upper arm hinge problem, you have to (as NEKOSEI mentioned) create a bone for both peices of the arm. Next, right in the model window and go to New>Property>On/Off.

Under the properties tab (View>Properties) right click (Ctrl-Click on a mac) your new property and pick New>Relationship. This will bring up a new action. First (IMPORTANT) CLICK THE COMPENSATE MODE BUTTON at the top; this looks like a red block ontop of two grey blocks. Now then, right click the first bone you would like to apply this to, and select New Constraint>Orient Like. A medicine dropper cursor will come up (this part is about selecting the bone you want to relate it to,) and you then select the second bone. This should solve that problem.

That's the way I did it, and if there's a better way, someone please correct me. As far as the null: create a new null (New>Null in the model window) and place it at the base. Once again, create a new property by right clicking and selecting New>Property>On/Off. Right click the property in the Properties window, and select New Relationship. Once again an action window will be created. Right click the lower arm bone, and select New Constraint>Aim at. Once again, the medicine dropper will come up: select the null. I believe that should handle it.

Peace,

J Man