sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

def considering buying

Mr. C

well, I like what I see, and the price you just can't seem to beat. Ive read alot of reviews, some really positive, some not so much. My biggest concern is that people are saying that it is unstable. Has that been fixed in the lastest versions? I'm 15 and I used to do animation in power point just for fun. I tryd maya at a friends but it was really hard to use and WAY out of my price range. Also, is there a return policy if the cd is defunct? thank you.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...any instable reviews are most probably of v9. Since then it's become more stable every version. v13 is rock solid. I can't remember the last time I crashed. Hash have embraced a bug fixing policy so I can only assume it will get more stable with v14.

I would say with Maya, you would get bogged down with the interface. At 15 you just want to model and animate. AM allows you to do that. That's not to say it will be plain sailing.....3D animation is hard in any mans language.

Hash offer a 30 money back guarantee....if you're not satisfied. I believe they will replace your cd if it gets scratched for a nominal fee.

If you buy AM today, you'll get v13 on the cd. But you'll have access to all v14 downloads for a year on the Hash website. With this model, January is the best time to buy.

If you are running on a stable computer, AM is as stable as Maya. Both are currently very stable. I have the current versions of both. What I mean by a stable machine is a fast and well cooled processor, sufficient RAM, and a high end video card running certified drivers. Minimizing programs running in background, particularly freeware/shareware, helps. There is a 30 day return policy and I believe if in the rare instance the CD dies, they will replace it for you.

• Admin
My biggest concern is that people are saying that it is unstable.

Very curious.

Do these people even use A:M?

Patently false information there.

If it wasn't stable I certainly wouldn't use it (and as a minimum I'd ask for a refund).

I found AM 8.5 to be extremely unstable; so unstable in fact that I moved over to LW9; I also tinkered with Maya, and will probably pick up v.8.5 just so I and my fiancé can learn it. That said, both Maya and Lightwave are FAR behind Hash with respect to interface, and implementation of features. Maya in particular is very feature rich, but the interface is a dog; Hash is SO much better in this regard. As for Lightwave.. ugh; a memory hog, and it requires two applications, and you can only render in one.

I am hugely impressed with the stability of v13. I crash every now and then, and I would say that PS CS2 or CS3 Beta are definitely more stable (these are, of course, 2D apps), but Hash 13 is among the most stable I've seen for a 3D app. I still save frequently, but I worry less about the random crash or hangup.

If you want to start modelling and right away, I can't say enough good things about Hash. The interface really facilitates modeling. I still haven't figured out how to unlock some of its power, and there are features in Maya and ZBrush that I like, and miss, in Hash, but both those programs have lousy interfaces. In the end, despite having fewer features, I get a lot more work done in Hash than in any other program.

A returning user's perspective.

Arka C.