Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to use model as path for camera rotation

RoyBU

I am trying to rotate my camera around a model.  Per Rodney's suggestion in another topic I made a circular spline as a model to use for the camera path, then dropped it into my chor.  However, when I tried to path constraint the camera to this circular spline, it wouldn't work.  The eyedropper picker would not allow me to choose it and it does not appear in the dropdown target list. The only targets that do appear are two other paths I've already made (created as paths right in the chor).  So I guess I'm missing a step: how do I get AM to use this model as my path?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know where I'm going wrong but I just tried it in a new default project and it did not work.  Here, in excessive detail, is what I did:

1.  Open new project

2.  Right-click on "objects" in PWS and choose "new/model"

3.  Go into "add" mode using button in upper right of modeling window and create a vertical, 2-CP spline

4.  Using the lathe, create a cylinder, then delete the bottom ring to get an 8-CP circle

5.  Create a new chor

6.  Drag "Model 1" (my circle) into the chor

7.  Right-click "Shortcut to Camera 1" in PWS and choose "new constraint/path"

Here's where things go wrong.  I can't select my circle model either by picking it or selecting it from the list.  As far as I can tell, AM refuses to recognize it as a path and will only recognize as paths splines created in the chor itself.

Roy (version 12.0w)

P.S.  As another minor irritation, many versions ago my camera icon disappeared from my chor. (When I select the camera shortcut the yellow lines and boxes show up, but the outline of the camera and the purple sight lines are always invisible.)  If I drag a new camera in, it appears correctly, but if I tell my original shortcut to switch to that new camera it is still invisible.  This is annoying now that I am working with the camera on a path.    Anyone know how I can get the icon to reappear?  

Make your path (ring) in the Choreography window. You can still lathe a point to get a ring for the camera to track round. This way it is a Path and not a spline from a model. So build it in the Cho and you will be fine.

Hope this helps

Cheers AndyG

Hi RoyBU,

I wouldn't worry about it too much!

I am currently working on a few things and noticed when i tried too add a model constraint to the path object the picker wouldn't waggle like it used to.

But as long as you have the picker over the path and click on it ,it will select the path.I dont know if this is a bug or something but it still works ok.

Jay

P.s.Started to worry when i couldn't find the spell check icon before i realised you just right click on the highlighted word for the options....Phew!!

:D

I found my own solution to the disappeared camera outline: I just brought in another camera and put a constraint on it to translate it to the position of the original camera.  Now the second camera follows the first one around and gives me the outline I need when working on my camera path, etc. :D Roy