Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exercise 6, HELP

why is it that if I start moving the charactors feet into the air and towards the door on frame 30, on playback the foot starts moveing at frame 1. I know it has something to do with placing keyframes. But that in it's self seems complicated. Could someone out there please take me through the prosses step by step, so his feet actualy start moveing at frame 30 instead of frame 1. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why the foot begins to move at frame one is because you didn't tell it what to do at frame one, so, it starts moving from where it is at at frame one to end at where you want it at frame 30.

So, what you need to do is decide how many frames you want the foot to move? Let's say you want the foot to move in 10 frames. So what you need to do is to tell the program that at frame 20 i want the foot to stay where it's at, so, you create a keyframe (simply move the foot just a little bit and back). Then forward to frame 30 and move the foot where you want it. Now, the program will know not to move that foot until frame 20, and from frame 20 to frame 30 move the foot.

Does that make sense?

I know it has something to do with placing keyframes.

I just finished exercise 6 and on the topic of placing key frames at 0 for his feet remember to place a keyframe for a closed door at 0 too. I learned the hard way and the door flung open at 0, hands slipping everywhere!

Good luck

Lori Hiatt

One thing that helped me do Exercise 6was re-doing exercise 4. The very things that keep drift and the management of feet moving when you want them to is needed in Exercise 4, as well.

I started exercise 6, got annoyed, and then went back to 4 and did it again, and again with a new model.

It really helped me.

• 3 months later...
easier than typing it

[attachmentid=20859]

Thanks for your video tut.

I never used zero slope interpolation - interesting!

Instructed by some other forum posts - up till now - I used either

1.) doubling of key frames (copy/paste the "fix" position right into one frame ahead)

or

2.) select the "fix" position in the timeline's channel editor and hit "P" for "peak

Could someone tell me, what is the difference between those three methods of anti-drift / anti-slippering? When would one use which method?

Thanks in advance.

And again: 1000 thanks for your video tut! Great stuff!

Wolfram.

Double keying is going to be a problem when trying to change poses (or do your tweaking). Peaking is just bad news in a spline edit package. Peaking will cause a straight line in and out of the keyframe. This looks really bad.

Personally I find zero slope to be the best looking (result wise) and most efficient method of solving the problem. Note that you can also manually tweak the keyframes in the graph editor by pulling and reorienting the handles (just like those on CP's in modelling)

Cheers

Double keying is going to be a problem when trying to change poses (or do your tweaking). Peaking is just bad news in a spline edit package. Peaking will cause a straight line in and out of the keyframe. This looks really bad.

Personally I find zero slope to be the best looking (result wise) and most efficient method of solving the problem. Note that you can also manually tweak the keyframes in the graph editor by pulling and reorienting the handles (just like those on CP's in modelling)

Cheers

Ah!

Thanks for this explanation!

Really makes sense...

So, now I will use that 0-slope thing!

Thanks!

Wolfram