sprockets Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine! Learn to do radiosity renders
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Faerieations

Hi!

I have been tinkering with an old project and have noticed that an old problem still exists in A:M12. The problem is that if I have dynamics turned on for the hair of my character and I have dynamic bones elsewhere on the character there is some kind of interference set in motion between the two. Some of you may remember an old test that I did with a Woot model whose coat-tails would fly up when the hair dynamics was turned on. This problem still exists in version 12 (v?) and I wondered if it has been solved in version 13.

Another problem that I am experiencing with this character is her hair. I have the constraint set to 'spring' because that always seems to produce the best results for flowing hair but I find that the interaction with her wings and centrifugal force seems to make her hair stretch. (View the attached file to see what I mean). Has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a reliable work-around?

I won't post the current example because I know that some people are offended by skirts fluttering up above the waste. ;) Instead I will post a short clip of the character with a 'less-than-satisfactory' alternative to the skirt problem:

[attachmentid=20276]

Thanks for any advice. :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a fabulous clip Paul!. Love the setting, lighting, animation - Looks like a great project.

I've never really experienced the hair stretching like that when rendering. Does it happen consistently?

I have found that oddly enough sometimes I have to run the real-time playback first thruout the sequence before rendering it, in order to not get artifacts in the render.

The higher ther stiffness the better. It happened to me when I moved my model around but these settings seemed to make it better...

Object collisions On

Low bounce

Friction.....high value seems to be the way to go, but experiment with this one.

Hi, Nancy. Thanks for the comments.

Yes this is a consistent effect when rendering QT files with the settings that I am using for hair. If I just render a single frame as a Targa the hair is unaffected by any forces or dynamics. I am in the habit of saving the whole project and reloading it before rendering as it updates everything. It is the only method that I know of to ensure that I am seeing all the changes that I have made.

Ken, my settings are approximately what you have suggested:

Collisions - On

Bounce - 5% (hmm, I'd better check that one again)

Friction - 50%

I'll try adjusting the stiffness and see what I get.

Cheers. :)