Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Wolverine

lazz

I've been meaning to make wolverine for a while now. He was and still is my favorite character from X-men. The version I'm doing is the one from the old X-men arcade series. Definately one of the best arcade games. Anyways, I started on him last night and this is where I am today. Comments and Crits are appreciated! Thanks! Later- Lazz

post-1815-1156111509_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice :)

Makes me want to do my favourite X-man also...Nightcrawler (in his original costume, of course).

Time to dig out some old comics perhaps.

I agree that the ear things looks a bit big...more like bat ears.

And something seems a bit off in the relation between the head and the torso...

Maybe head is too small, or maybe it should be moved forward a bit.

Can't quite put my finger on it though.

All in all very nice start, keep posting!

MagnusC

• Admin

You know... I'm a little shocked that this is the first time we've seen anyone attempt to recreate Wolverine in 3D.

Seeing your image is definitely one of those 'Now why didn't *I* think of that??' moments.

Wolverine's ear flaps are hard to do in 2D so getting them right in 3D is no small task I'm sure.

Did the game character have some that were more pronounced?

I guess it doesn't really matter all that much.

I remember seeing him drawn that way before.

The most important thing is that you are modeling Wolverine!!!

Go Lazz!

Hey! Thanks everyone for commenting, you rock.

dude: I agree, so I played around with his head using the manipulator tool and I think I like it more now. And ya, does anyone know why he has those ear things? I never really got it either, but it looks kinda cool so I'm goin with it.

dborruso: Ya its all geometry. Here's a wire too to look at. I've been studying Colin Freeman's Demon from a while ago, and just looking at his work has really helped my understanding of splining.

Thanks Magnus! Nightcrawler is definately cool too. They portrayed him differently than I thought they would in the movie though.

Rodney: I know! I was surprised that I got the first go around at it. He's a somewhat popular character from what I thought too. Ya, I'll post a picture I'm using as a reference. The ear flaps are pretty big, but I still toned them down a notch or two.

Also, I've added arms. That, along with his head is what I've done so far. More to come -lazz

And the reference photo:

post-1815-1156215265_thumb.jpg

post-1815-1156215279_thumb.jpg

post-1815-1156215330_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Lazz,

As your image shows there is more than one interpretation of Wolvie's ear flaps.

When I first saw yours I thought of Arthur Adams.

As for me I'm partial to the John Byrne style.

That doesn't really matter all that much though.

Just keep modeling him! :)

Edit: I think what's different isn't so much the size but that there is a squared off effect to them as some artists draw him. I'll post some pics (but just to illustrate what I'm talking about. Do your own thing).

Both of the attached drawn by John Byrne.

The front view one w/ orange and brown costume.

mu_wolverine.jpg

wolverin.jpg

Nice start! The one thing to remember with Wolvie is that he ain't much of a smile-type guy :D

I don't know if would help, but I'd go buy a Wolverine figure to help out. You can still tweak it to your stlye, but having something to hold and turn sure helps out sometimes!

...and Rodney, dig the John Byrne pix! ;) I was a big fan of the "brown costume"!

- pjc

post-45-1156260906_thumb.jpg

Just keep modeling him!

Thanks Rodney! I will :D

he ain't much of a smile-type guy

no kidding :lol:

I may look into getting a figurine to help as a reference. It's really helpful as you said to be able to actually look at it and turn it around and stuff. And it'd look cool on my computer desk too. I just might do that. Thanks Patrick!

So as far as updates go, here's what I've got. I've been workin off and on today but managed to finish the hands, add the shoulder pads, and I also flattened the chest a bit. I think it was a little overkill the way it was. Cool! Let me know what ya think. thanks! later- lazz

post-1815-1156303700_thumb.jpg

Looking good!!! I like it! Wolvie was always my favorite too! This isn't the first time I've seen an A:M user do Wolverine, but it has been a while. Last time I saw Wolverine modelled was back when v7 or v8 was the latest. Some guy popped into IRC and was showing it off.

This stylized version from the arcade is nice. I remember playing that game for hours. However, my favorite version of Wolverine will always be the way that Sam Kieth drew him. No one's even come close to really pegging him, in my eyes.

I wasn't familiar with Sam Kieth--been outta the comics loop for awhile, excepting a few artists whom I follow--so I looked him up. Very cool stuff.

My vote has always been for the brown costume. Primary colors just don't seem appropriate for the boy.

At any rate, great model! It looks like you're getting a lot of mileage out of little splineage. I'm going to be studying this a bit.

Mark