Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A walk cycle

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good start, it will look better when she is moving forward and the feet stick to the ground. One comment, from the side, it looks like her hips are a little far back, not quite over her feet. There are also a couple of pops where her feet change direction for one frame. Maybe a little more hip action will sell it. Good secondary action.

walkinghips.PNG

She looks asthough she keeps lifting her arms. Try having her swing them at the shoulders and using the elbows for follow-through. She could also use a little a little bounce. Try lowering her hips a bit whenever she's changing the weight from one leg to the other.

Looking good...getting there! Is that a dynamic constraint in her chest? COOL!

I think she now needs some side to side action with the butt bone (from top view, angle butt bone left/right to accent her steps)

Looks like the CPs down in her 'no-no' area are attached only to the right leg, that is a perfect place for CPweighting with a 50/50 split, or 33/33/34 with the 34 going to her spinebone.

For 'sexy' struts I like to make her feet 'walk the line' like models on a runway, the front foot would fall dirctly in front of the back, and the back would then swing around it to come forward, landing on the same center line...

Keep at it!

Getting much better! You might want to shorten her stride a hair, it might reduce the popping when the right foot makes contact. She is also a little flat footed at the high point. Remember, she is levering her weight over the planted foot and catches her weight on contact. Usually at the top of the pivot over the leg, you are on the ball of your planted foot and the CG is over the ball. Her leg should be strait.

I tried a similar test some time ago, girlie walks are difficult, especially if you are trying to make the same cycle look good from all angles. For movie making, you have the advantage that you only have to look good for the camera. Maybe to keep it simple, try optimizing for one viewing angle. Keep at it.

My try

I didn't even bother with the arms, I worked on the hip action. Yep, toon girls wiggle when they walk!

HERE s one I did WAY BACK in (I think) v10(?) when the 'new' feature was 'hash-hair'...

I keep this sample around and refer to it from time to time...somehow, the more I learn, and the better I get, the more I wish I could 'recapture' some of the spontanaiety, the 'whimsical' nature of this short piece.

I remember the idea...was to have the girl and the engine kinda interact...like the engine was the girls dog on a leash... and he ends-up dragging her powerfully about town...

Harriet.mov

Haha thats brilliant ,they are both very inspirational .That is one hell of a model John and you got the look just right aswell.Yea I will try weighting as you say , I find that hard to get right .I wanted to try hair but everytime I animate with it ,it slips off her head.Bruce I remember marvelling at this model and yea that walk is nice one foot in front of the other .I'm gonna give that a try thank's

better much better thanks for the bones i will be able to explain alot better ok you have the cat feet stride thing which in as many ways its sexy lol anyway cool now about the arms at a low back and forth motion wish i could give an example but anyhow try it and soon you will have one kick *** walk going lol