Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Collecting Cameras - Care to share render settings

Rodney

• Admin

I'd like to collect a few Cameras to add to the Extra DVD as it seems like it might be a great resource to explore.

In particular I'm interested in collecting a variety of render styles with settings for people to examine on the DVD. If you have an old project laying around gathering dust you can import it into v13 and see what settings are there. If its a keeper save the camera as an external .CAM file and share it here. If you'd prefer your particular settings to be revealed when the DVD is released that is fine too. You can send the files to me via email if you prefer.

Attached is the plain ol' default v13 camera. All settings are (of course) default! :)

Note: The forum will not let you upload files with the extension .CAM so you will either have to rename the extension or zip the camera up for posting. As .CAM files tend to be pretty small... we can fit a wholelotahooploada .CAMeras on the DVD.

Most likely the same model/animation will be rendered with each camera so everyone can properly determine what particular look, sequence, file format etc. they'd like to use with their own projects.

If people want to discuss their settings at length we may ask for this topic to be moved a more appropriate area of the forum.

Anyone interested in a little exploration?

Defaultv13Camera.zip

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rodney,

That is an excellent idea.

We usually don't experiment too much with camera settings.

What would be very helpful would be to have images of the same scene rendered out with the different camera settings so you could compare the end result.

David

• Admin
What would be very helpful would be to have images of the same scene rendered out with the different camera settings so you could compare the end result.

Exactly! A mini-demo reel-type thingy that would incorporate the various elements of modeling, decaling, animating in a single image or short sequence of images. Gotta keep the file size small though as I want to keep the DVD space for othe resources.

This should fit into what Jody is working on for Render Statistics for the DVD as well. :)

I also find this idea interesting. I don't really experiment with different camera settings. Every once in awhile I change the focal length, but other than that I never mess with the setting. I would find it very interesting to see what people do with the camera.

• Admin

I'll try to post (or at least move toward the Extra DVD) some various examples of Camera settings to show some of the options available to us.

For instance;

I have a multicamera model that uses 24 cameras in a Matrix-like setup.

Not really finished... so not of much use. But the idea is there... and building multicamera rigs is really easy now with the 'Multiple Objects on a Path' plugin.

I have a camera showing how to step through frames, reverse sequences etc.

This is stuff you could do without a camera but still nice to know you can do it in A:M if you'd need to.

Gradients from the Toon Renderer are also on my list but they are a separate collection.

I have the bare bones beginning of an Excel Spreadsheet that controls camera settings...

Lots of projects started... few finished. ;)

If they had a purpose to exist that might make them much more likely to finished and documented.

The Extra DVD might provide a place to put them so others could build from the basic ideas.

Rodney

• Admin

(What are you trying to do scare me with that avatar!)

"'Multiple Objects on a Path' plugin" -- What's this?

Why that would be the plugin that places multiple objects on a path. :)

Seriously, I just discovered it myself but I assume it's a Steffen Gross plugin.

I'll Wink you up a tutorial demonstration of it.

You could probably do something similar with the Sweeper plugin from Emilio.

• Admin

Thanks!

More of a gradient material but that's great too.*

I've added it to the Extra DVD Collection.

Maybe I need to demo the Toon Gradient output method?

*The prop was missing so I'll just extract the material.