sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New To Computer Animation

Learner23

Hey everybody. I have been on the search for a while now for something to explain computer animation.

I have done some stop motion projects but I would reall like to get into computer animation soon.

So could you guys give me some info or places where I could get some info about computer animation. By the way I want to know about the technical stuff first because I can animate on paper and Stop Mot but I don't know all the technical stuff for computer animation.

This infromation will probaly be a factor in whether or not I save up to buy infromation master.

Thanx everbody.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Learner,

It looks like you started into animation the same way I did. I started with cell animation, ,took a few community college courses, read animation books (must have: The Illusion of Life).

Then as the computer revolution arrived and blew me away with computer graphics, I went back to community college and took few classes on computer graphics and animation.

Then I discovered Animation:Master. Now I discovered myself being involved in a full scale movie production of the Tinwoodman of Oz.

Life hasn't been better since :D

• Hash Fellow

It's a huge world. There's no shortage of info out there on just about every topic.

but since you are already animating in other media, maybe what you want to know is how it is done in CG.

I'd recommend the A:M Demonstration and some of the tutorial walk-through videos to give you an idea of what is going on.

• Admin
What about any books that you guys have reaad on computer animation. Can you think of any books which are really good and are based mostly on CGI?

A great question.

Be advised that you can spend a whole lot of money on books and still not really 'get' CGI.

To understand CGI you've got to experience CGI.

Obviously this forum will be bias toward Animation:Master.

A:M has a loyal following because it 1) Is easy to use 2) Very Intuitive 3) Has great support.

I definitely recommend A:M.

Now... books.

The books I have had out on my table the most recently are as follows:

The Art of Animation:Master (TAoA:M) - Hash Inc's manual that comes with A:M.

It contains 20 exercises designed to get new users up to speed and animatng. Free with A:M.

Character Animation In Depth (Doug Kelly)

This book is almost 8 years old. The majority of its 1000 pages are still more than relevant and the focus is on designing, creating and distributing your comptuer animation. $59.00 cover - I found it for $4 online! Comes with a really cool CD.

Animation: The Mechanics of Motion (Chris Webster)

This is just a great book that covers all the basics of traditional animation that can be applied to computer animation. $36.95

Acting for Actors - Revised Edition (Ed Hooks)

I'm enjoying this one but for me its a tough read.

Its approaching animation from an angle I've never really experienced... acting. Thats what makes it both fun and frustrating. It may also be that every time I've picked it up I've had a headache. ;)

$21.95. Be advised: The included CD is pretty much worthless.

*Animation:Master - A Complete Guide (David Rogers)

I haven't ordered this edition so its not yet on my table. I do have a space reserved on my shelf.

Edit: Folks here in the forum have started to receive their copies so it is out!

Principles of Three-Dimensional Computer Animation (Michael O'Rourke) Out of Print

I consider this the treasure of all the books I picked at Powell's Books while at Hash Bash.

(I also picked up 5 great Disney books on the cheap too but this book really is a treat)

Thanks to Ken Baer for the tour of Powells! $55.00 cover/$14.95 through Powells

There are hundreds if not thousands of other books that can be used with CGI.

Don't look only at CGI books or you are bound to feel cheated.

Unless you really love books you can probably save a lot of money by just digging into the program.

I'm rather fond of books so I buy them when I can.

Learning the tools is important but its what you do once you've learned the tools that will really count.

Besides that if you ask the questions here you are pretty much guaranteed to get an answer.

In many ways that is better than any book. :)

If this topic SPecifically refers to animating in A:M, then the best suggestion I would absolutely recommend is to buy 2 specific CD's/DVD's.

1)Jeff Lews - Character animation : He does a complete animation using A:M at the end of the DVD,

and I learned alot from watching it and the things he was doing. Its worth it.

[A:M specific though?]

2)Hash's Siggraph 2002 Training Video: Alison Kennedy does a complete animation using A:M that is very

worth-while and thorough. Very Good to watch as she explains everything shes doing.

[Again A:M specific]