sprockets Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine! Learn to do radiosity renders
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to make an object glow...

Kelley

I want a clutch of these motorcycles to run through a scene with their headlights [and red tail lights] on. So far, as I look through manuals, A:M can make a halo-type glow around the object, but I see nothing on how to simulate an object that is emitting light. I did a fair approximation by creating a cube, coloring it yellow-orange, installing a light inside it and setting the cube's Translucency to 50%.

Is there a better way?

[attachmentid=16039]

MC_WWI_02.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In bones mode, simply right-click and add a new light to the model (It should be placed just in front of the model mesh.) and specify a "Klieg" light and adjust it's properties to mimic a real headlight.

Also, you may want to add a standard bulb in the same location so as to give that ambient light surrounding the headlight (not sure about AO vs. standard rendering in this area)

I used this technique for my TAoA:M exercise "Can you say that." (The lipsync one).

You can find it here.

Luckbat: No, I don't want to 'see' the light. At least, not right now, though I may add volumetrics later.

MMZ_TimeLord: I know that I'll have to install a Kleig to throw 'real' light on the street...but I didn't know that I could add it to a bone chain. I was going to do a 'translate to'. Thanks.

What I'm looking for is a sense that the object [headlight lens] is transmitting light from behind. When I was using Carrara, there was a simple dialog box into which you could insert a value, and the object would glow like a Japanese paper lantern. It wouldn't actually throw any light. You still needed an outside source for that.

What I need is that sense of an internal glow.

That's coming from the light behind the glass....which is a kleig within the model (ie no lights in the chor). I'm sure the other light types would produce a similar effect though.