sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Plugin Wizards Duplicator Mode Problem

Technodandy

Hi All,

I have tried many times the Wizards Duplicator. AM will not duplicate the texture map attach to the group being copied. Do I need to turn on a menu item somewhere? I can copy a group and then paste groups with it texture maps ok but not when I use Plugin>Wizards...>Duplicator...

Can somebody help me?

Technodandy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amendment to last statement:

I right clicked on the group in Project work place. A menu item called "Image" did something like I needed but it only would work with one image at a time. A single image pasted on everything but the original group it sourced from. It still did not copy the original multi-textured arrangement.

It looks like it works only if I use a texture map on one plane or patch.

So how can I apply a texture map to a multi-patch or complex group of shapes and apply it with the "Plugin" Wizard... Duplicator... function?

I'm pretty sure the duplicator wizard is just for duplicating splinage. Not decals.

suggest you look at the FW 190 (airplane) tutorial in TAO A:M

"Image" lets you load an image by selecting it and right clicking... but you can also right click in the modeling window and scroll down to "new" where you can select rotoscope or decal.

I don't think you can apply a texture map to a complex group of shapes as you are wanting to do. You still have to select the points you want to decal, hide the rest, and stamp your decal. you can then determine the type of decal it is bump, cookie cut, etc.

Maybe I can reduce my complex Group to one single Plane and line up all the individual texture maps together with the group patern in Corel Draw. Then try duplicate Wizard with the single patch. Only the closest groups would have to have more detailed.

Maybe I can reduce my complex Group to one single Plane and line up all the individual texture maps together with the group patern in Corel Draw. Then try duplicate Wizard with the single patch. Only the closest groups would have to have more detailed.

Probably not... somebody else was having difficulty with many decals on one large patch. But nothing stops you from trying....

Texturing is, or seems to be, an arduous process. for photorealism, many techniques have been developed to make things look real... They all require decals with lots of layers, however. I'm afraid that texture decaling is not an easy thing to do, and not something easily automated with a wizard.

Hi all,

I just thought of a something that might maintaining the Decal with each interation, with just a few extra steps, but not so slow to be no worth a try.

What if I copy the group with the decal applied , move the original with the "Rotate Manipulator" and paste back the copy. I would have to go though that process 16 times but it should not take long. It would be like taking one rock from "Stonehendge" and making a circle from copies of that rock.

Has anybody tried that?

Technodandy

Hi Everyone

The Copy, Rotate, Paste idea worked. It would have been faster if Duplicator Wizard was able.

Below is the results.

[attachmentid=15021]

This first picture is the real building today.

[attachmentid=15022]

I am trying to reconstruct this with AM.

What a Back Drop this will make for an animation.

I wonder if anyone can guess where this is and name the building?

Technodandy :rolleyes:

post-8231-1141870108_thumb.jpg

post-8231-1141870166_thumb.jpg

• Admin
Can anyone tell me if I made several copys of a group and want to fix a flaw in the original does AM have a option that will pass the change to all the copies?

Only if you are building your model in a Choreography window.

Try this and you'll see what I mean:

- Create a simple model

- Save the model

- Drag and drop the model from the Project Workspace listing to a new Choreography window

- Drag and drop the model a few more times in the Chor to create more instances of the same model

- Arrange them as you see fit

- Now... edit the original model.

You will observe that the change you make in the original effects all instances of the model in the choreography. Some people like to build their complex models in Choreographies just for such reasons as this.

When you get the model as you like it you can export the Choreography to a model by Right Clicking and Save As Model.

Hope that makes sense.

• 6 months later...

Technodandy, very nice work on the model, it looks great!

When you get the model as you like it you can export the Choreography to a model by Right Clicking and Save As Model.

Rodney,

I had no idea this was possible! :o A:M surprises me all the time.

I just tried it and sure enough, there it is and it works like a charm. So let me spell this out again to make sure I've got it right:

The basic idea is to clear the Choreography of everything else, remove the cameras, lights, ground, etc.. and you're left with a blank Choreography that acts like another modeling window. You then can drag instances of a fully textured model and use them to make up a new model. Then when you're happy, you export the Choreography as a model. Then you can start any new project and import that model as needed.

It brings up some very interesting possibilities. My floating city for the last image contest for example, was mostly assembled in the Choreography. I guess its possible to save that whole thing as a model itself. Unreal. :)

-Jim