Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

create a 4 point patch?

C-grid

Hi all, :)

Anyone has the solution for this:

When I make a (TOPview) rectangle (4 cp, peak,snap to grid) and extrude it, there are still 2 side's open. Well, I do know that adding points on the right way will close it, BUT...

Using the primitives plugin from Steffen Gross, let's me create a cube, all closed on 8 cp...(!?)

So here is my question: Is there a way I can apply a 'make five-point-patch'-manner to do this, thus a 'make four-point-patch'?

Hope to hear your solution.

Niels.

ps.

I don't think there is such a manner...(I do hope, I am wrong about this...) Maybe a reply from you, will make me request this feature, if it ain't there.

[EDIT] PLEASE READ WITH CARE FIRST, BEFORE REPLY PLEASE.

[EDIT] I found out that Steffen is using a manner that has this model description: Make a square of 3 points, then close the last side with shift-pressed, then extrude 4 points.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So here is my question: Is there a way I can apply a 'make five-point-patch'-manner to do this, thus a 'make four-point-patch'?

No, there isn't.

Thank you. :)

Niels

I was just explaining WHY it works the way it does, so that you could see the solution to how to make what you want.

As for one-click, use the LIBRARY palette and import an already made cube whenever you need one.

Thank you.

I see you advise the one-click LIB solution more than once...:)

I gave the solution, like I said, that's with adding more CP to close the surface, but my question still is, 'the Steffen Gross plugin primitives' does probably a make-four-point-patch job in his code and why can't this not be done in the modeller?

I do have a question for zandoriastudios, you know a tutorial for decaling a sphere, with a 2:1 panorama still, with the purpose to make a skydome? How I should split the image for proper decaling, or the 'add group image' method...

I was just explaining WHY it works the way it does, so that you could see the solution to how to make what you want.

As for one-click, use the LIBRARY palette and import an already made cube whenever you need one.

I gave the solution, like I said, that's with adding more CP to close the surface, but my question still is, 'the Steffen Gross plugin primitives' does probably a make-four-point-patch job in his code and why can't this not be done in the modeller?

I do have a question for zandoriastudios, you know a tutorial for decaling a sphere, with a 2:1 panorama still, with the purpose to make a skydome? How I should split the image for proper decaling, or the 'add group image' method...

Niels

my question still is, 'the Steffen Gross plugin primitives' does probably a make-four-point-patch job in his code and why can't this not be done in the modeller?

This is not correct. Steffen's cubes do not have any patch made from a single spline loop. If you un-peak the points on one of them, you should be able to follow the spline flow.

my question still is, 'the Steffen Gross plugin primitives' does probably a make-four-point-patch job in his code and why can't this not be done in the modeller?

This is not correct. Steffen's cubes do not have any patch made from a single spline loop. If you un-peak the points on one of them, you should be able to follow the spline flow.

That Steffens plugin is doing a single spline loop, is not what I have been saying.

Niels

The first are unpeaked (O key). The second peaked (P key).

Hey Ken,

I don't know exactly what your message is... If it is, Yes you can make a closed cube on all side's with 8 CP, if you will use the right method then I will try it and thank you very much.

Niels

That Steffens plugin is doing a single spline loop, is not what I have been saying.

Then I'm unclear on what you're asking for. All valid patches fill themselves in automatically. You don't need a "Define 4-point patch" button.

The first are unpeaked (O key). The second peaked (P key).

Hey Ken,

I don't know exactly what your message is... If it is, Yes you can make a closed cube on all side's with 8 CP, if you will use a different method than I described above then I will try it and thank you very much.

Niels

Niels

As Will said, there's an 8 point cube in the library on the cd. My image explains why it's able to do that. No programming involved. Just keeping an eye on what way the splines are running. You're not dealing with polys here.....totally different.

PS The quickest way to make a cube is to extrude a line to make a square. Then extrude that square to make a cube. Easy.

As Will said, there's an 8 point cube in the library on the cd. My image explains why it's able to do that. No programming involved. Just keeping an eye on what way the splines are running. You're not dealing with polys here.....totally different.

PS The quickest way to make a cube is to extrude a line to make a square. Then extrude that square to make a cube. Easy.

Thank you Ken, :)

The fastest way with the 'police' making a cube is starting Blender3D, this has a default cube in it right away...

I'm not at my home right now, so I can't try your fastest cube-making method, right now, I see to it, later on tonight and reply tommorrow.

Niels.

ps.

I'm not a real Blender3D user, I do hope to become a real Animation:User, not just for the sake of splining but yes this is more my thing than polygon-modeling, although I wouldn't hate it, if A:M handles the .OBJ format as standard polygon communication.

Polygon programs often start with primitive shapes and then subdivide them to add detail, so it makes sense to have a primitive button.

But A:M you model the detail directly. so the only time you need a cube is when you need a cube-- you don't start with primitives and add detail, you just start drawing the mesh that you want to end up with.

Hello, :)

So, I guess the normal way to make a four point patch is not with four points, but with tricks or intersectionpoints.

Niels.

ps. Ken do you have such a trick for a closed-sphere? The cube-trick, first 2 points for a line then an extrusion to make-four-point-patch, I tried it, it was allright, thank you for this. I noticed that the biashandles are gone, so no further deform is possible, is that normal?

[NOTICE] I made a second [EDIT]-note in the original message.

Yes it's normal when you peak cps. You can still adjust the alpha and gamma in the properties but it won't produce anything pretty. You're not going to be able to add modifiers like in other software to change the shape. This is getting down and dirty with the splines. You have to plan out your spline layout to get the shape you want. But it's as intuitive as drawing with a pencil.

There are ways to get a closed sphere, but I don't think you're ready to hear them yet. :D

Hello Ken, :)

There are ways to get a closed sphere, but I don't think you're ready to hear them yet. :D

Try me Ken, so far, you didn't answer any of my questions.

I don't know why the 'newbie'-title changed in 'apprentice', I liked the 'newbie' one.

Niels.

You mean so far I answered all your questions bar one right? The sphere one. I'll have to hand that over to someone else.

Niels;

Please ask questions in the context of the exercises of "The Art of Animation:Master" (TaoA:M), the book that comes with the software. This thread is disjointed and premature. How far have you gone in TaoA:M? TaoA:M is set up for newbies. By asking questions out of turn, you only frustrate the people trying to help you. Lot's of folks will jump in to help, as you've seen here.

You mean so far I answered all your questions bar one right? The sphere one. I'll have to hand that over to someone else.

I made a cube with all the loose ends sticking out of it, then deformed it and cut the loose ends, after this selecting one or some of the point(s) is making the spline move from one side to the other (this on one axis), and yes this only by selecting it on a spline.

The next matter, telling your cube-trick way, wasn't my question and the thing you showed before, well a picture does deliver words but not particularly the right one's, I had to filter out, my/your answer, the master-discussion when someone can do this with words and not picture's is a different discussion.

The next matter, I didn't start bringing up, polygon-thing or other applications then A:M.

Assuming someone is stupid and doesn't know anything is futile for a 'master'.

Niels.

Niels;

Please ask questions in the context of the exercises of "The Art of Animation:Master" (TaoA:M), the book that comes with the software. This thread is disjointed and premature. How far have you gone in TaoA:M? TaoA:M is set up for newbies. By asking questions out of turn, you only frustrate the people trying to help you. Lot's of folks will jump in to help, as you've seen here.

Hello Martin, :)

You don't want to have my answer on this one.

Niels.

See Martin's (Hash) answer. I showed/told you how to make an 8 point cube which was your original question.

The question was and is about the make-four-point-patch.

From a so called 'master' I expect a different answer than the childish 'I give the-sphere-trick to someone else'. A reply from my side by saying that "I liked Ireland before I met you", would be the same silly misuse of words, so I still like Ireland.

Niels.

From a so called 'master' I expect a different answer than the childish 'I give the-sphere-trick to someone else'.
He wasn't giving it to someone else. He came to the same conclusion that I did, namely that if you're having a problem making a cube, you're not ready for the bigger problem of making a closed sphere.
The question was and is about the make-four-point-patch.
So why did you ask about spheres?

I suggest you take Martin's advice and go through the tutorials - you'll get more respect from the rest of us as you'll then have a better idea of how A:M works.

What in heck has Ireland got to do with anything. I could be an American migrant living in Ireland for all you know.

The reason I didn't answer the sphere question is because I don't have time to explain it. I'm not getting paid enough to listen to this....oh wait, I'm not getting paid at all!

PS I'm going to change that Master setting right now.