Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Light Saber

clone_commander169

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it's possible. I don't believe anyone here has done one that realistic.

There is a tutorial on A:M Matrix for lightsaber with fanning effect.

This is probably the same tutorial you have been pointed to in the past.

I have not seen a light saber done more real than that in A:M.

I would grab the project from the tutorial and see if you can make it more 'realistic' (seeing as how a lightsaber is fictional) :D

I think the answer to your question is YES...you can build a saber that is realistic, but like anything in 3D, it gets exponentially harder to get closer to "reality".

I worked this up in about 1/2 hr (mostly playing with setting for glow. Beam of lightsaber is just a spline "rendered as lines" with glow. Droid is from CD.

Cheers,

Eugene

[attachmentid=14099]

post-296-1139082698_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
i think this is a lightsaber

Looks more like a painting of a lightsaber to me. ;)

Clone,

While I won't ever claim this is a decent saber look I think you could realize what you are after by using several dome capped cylinders with varying transparency and specular color. You could then modify the splines of that cylinder as you need.

The most important factor to remember I think however would be that the effect is usually done in post production where the artists control the elements completely. That way the backgrounds and other objects in the scene only effect the saber blades if the artist wants them to. In still imagery (such as Dark Jedi posted) additional effects have been added such as lens flare too.

You can do this all within A:M.

saber.jpg

I helped with a fanfilm while in college and when it came time to do the saber effect, we composited it in After Effects. You could model and do a basic saber in A:M and then control the glows and contact hits and everything else in AE.

Hope that helps

After Effects is a compositer and motion graphics program made by Adobe. You can do all kinds of great things in there. Check out Adobe After Effects for a description of it. Also here's a link for some lightsaber compositing movies. The glows were done in After Effects. Lightsaber Effects. You could also check out EffectsLab DV. Its alot cheaper than AE and is quite good at doing lightsabers and a variety of other effects.

Hope this helps you out

• 4 weeks later...