sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

trouble with decals

eptigo

Yes, i am having trouble applying decals

the decals go on fine, and the model looks relatively great

(considering my skill level)

but when i try to open the model file again, the decals do not seem to be properly applied,

its like there out of place or something

i think it has something to do with layering different decals ontop of each other or something

my problem basically is, the decals just dont seem to want to stay the same

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just quick thoughts here... I'm sure you did this right... It's just that well, sometimes...

You right click applied the decals, right?

You applied them in the proper mode... planar, spherical, cylindrical....

they are high resolution pictures.. not blown up little ones.... stretched to fit?

otherwise I can't understand what would be happening...

Yes, i applied the decals,

and yes i applied them using the proper mode

(at least i think i did, the shapes im applying them to

arent spherical, or cylindrical, so im assuming planer is most correct here)

well, i dont really see how something like resolution would apply here,

if the images are low res, then they will simply show up blurry or pixelated

on the shape right.

they're not showing up like that, they're just showing up ... different

here's a link to the model if anyone wants to take a look at it:

http://emar0.angeltowns.com/misc/imp_dreadnaught_00.zip

i think the problem has something to do with overlapping decals

i think the problem has something to do with overlapping decals

That could be it.... Vern Zehr has alot of experience with decaling and the seams that can show up... can't look at the file here... but maybe that IS the problem....

Are you using Photoshop or equivalent? Alpha layer might help eliminate your problem.

yes, i luv photoshop

... alpha ... channels???

i don't really understand how exactly i can use alpha channels in regards to decals

Alpha channels on decals will allow your decal to have transparency. Like if you wanted an irregular shaped decal, or to have a hole where a material shows thru.

Oh, and I opened your model file; I assume you are referring to problems like places where the stripe decals don't line up, like on the wings?

Oh and why are all of your control points peaked? Just curious.

yes, i luv photoshop

... alpha ... channels???

i don't really understand how exactly i can use alpha channels in regards to decals

Alpha channels on decals will allow your decal to have transparency. Like if you wanted an irregular shaped decal, or to have a hole where a material shows thru.

Oh, and I opened your model file; I assume you are referring to problems like places where the stripe decals don't line up, like on the wings?

Oh and why are all of your control points peaked? Just curious.

no, its more like on the main body. Its like one side has this blue strip, and its fine

but the other half ... doesn't

the same goes for those hanger bays on the bottom of the ship (those tiny towers sticking out of the bottom of the vessel) there shouldn't be any blue there, neither on the bridge (the tower on the tope of the vessel)

as for the peakiness, that may have something to do with my current skill level

(i like peaked, its the style ;_;)

:P

• Hash Fellow

You seem to be using the same image over numerous times, stamping the whole thing onto parts that are much smaller than the image.

In a case where the blue line doesn't appear, is it possible that you've stamped the blue line on and then later inadvertently stamped a gray portion of the decal over it in a later pass?

You seem to be using the same image over numerous times, stamping the whole thing onto parts that are much smaller than the image.

In a case where the blue line doesn't appear, is it possible that you've stamped the blue line on and then later inadvertently stamped a gray portion of the decal over it in a later pass?

yes, that is inadvertantly what i have done.

stamped the same image over numerous times

hmmm, well, i doubt it

as i have attempted to explain before

even after i have fixed it, and saved it.

when i shut down the program and try to access the file again

the decals are all wrong

i must have tried this several times already

[hmmm, well, i doubt it

as i have attempted to explain before

even after i have fixed it, and saved it.

when i shut down the program and try to access the file again

the decals are all wrong

On your next try, snap a screen-shot of what it looks like BEFORE, and one AFTER (after the model reloads with incorrect decalling) so it is more clear what exactly doesn't look right the 2nd time. I gota say, this seems to be a bit of a stumper, but before and after shots may give us some clue.

Frustrating! :huh:

Yes this is extremely hard to figure out.

I looked at the model... with those decals... I don't see why you are having to stamp so many times. It looks like they should cover the whole thing in two shots!

I will say that in the past I have had "trouble" with decal "ordering" and display.

Sometimes a decal "on top" appears correctly... or incorrectly... if I change the order in the PWS, the appearance over other decals changes...

Sometimes it gets confusing and I can't keep track of which is on top... is it under in the PWS to be over on the model?... or the other way around?

Sometimes I need to save before the reordering changes my model view. Sometimes closing and reopening the project will snap things back.

------------------

If you are stamping decals to "cover" other decals... not the ideal way to work... you would want to think about how you want things to appear then... modify the decal to match your "plan".

I have a feeling the problem is related to the order of the decals and which patches they are assigned to.

If you find that a decal stamp is showing on patches that they shouldn't... select those CPs, right click and select "remove decals". A list of the decals and stamps for those patches/CPs is listed and you can remove the ones that shouldn't be there.

You can remove the whole decal or only selected stamps. I often rename the stamps so I know which part they cover.

Screen grabs would be great.

Vernon "!" Zehr

• 7 months later...