Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Problem with rendering a movie.

Robert-Jank

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have any knowledge of long renders except for what I have read or been told. However, when rendering something as long as it sounds like yours is, (60 Hours) you may run into memory problems. That is of course unless you are rendering into tgas expecting to composite later. I believe it has to reserve ram for every frame rendered until it is finallized or something like that. Therefore you will run out of ram before the movie is complete.

Someone that knows more needs to explain this better. But of course, you are probably rendering the tgas and don't need my input.

Wade

Ahhh Great.....Final is such a good render! But i cant stand waiting! Ow well i got a month to finish my movie.

Oh yeah......its say itll be done in 60 hours how fun....

60 hrs? How long is the movie and what are your render settings?

Its 375 frames, rendering settings are final, sorensen video 3, quality on midium, 5 percent motion blurr on. Another thing is that i do have a well put background(Buldings)

another thing is that its rendering 4 patches.

I noticed motion blur does add to the render time, so does hair, particles, bumps etc. 375 frames isn't that much, but it's all the special effects that're prolonging the render times.

I rendered a 3 minute movie, with sound, no special effects, default settings (that was before I knew of the Sorensen 3), it took 72 hours :blink:

Seriously people, please get out of the habit of rendering directly to Quicktime. Rendering to targas is the best way to do it. There are two very serious drawbacks to rendering to a movie file.

The most obvious one is that if you crash during a render, you'll lose the entire render. If you crash while rendering to targas, you restart and pick up where you left off. Second, rendering to targas means that you can play with movie compression settings to find the best possible compression after the render's done. If you render directly to a Sorenson-compressed movie, you're stuck with what you chose at render time.

Quick question how do i make my targa into a movie now after its done?

You'll have to utilize an editing program. I bought Adobe Premiere 6 off of e-bay. I learned how to use it when i was taking CG in college. I have yet to use it though <_<

Quick question how do i make my targa into a movie now after its done?

You'll have to utilize an editing program. I bought Adobe Premiere 6 off of e-bay. I learned how to use it when i was taking CG in college. I have yet to use it though <_>

I use adobe premiere as well for doing this.However I remember that I have read in the forum that

converting series of tga's to avi or quicktime movie files is possible in AM itself.Just by importing the

tga's in choregraphie -as decal on a plane or in the background can't remember exactly-and then render

this in the format you want.

If you are using Win XP you should have a program called Movie Maker in your Accessories folder. This will give you some very basic editing abilities. I have never really tried it so can't vouch for it's abilities. If you're on a Mac I think you get some bundled video editor too but as I don't have a Mac I can't swear to that.

You should not overlook A:M's own ability to import your movie as image sequences. You can goto Images/Import/Image Sequence to load your Targas and then select the sequence in your images folder, right click and choose Save Animation.

Using this method will also allow you to make use of A:M's new compositor. Something that I haven't played with yet.

Alternatively, there are often 30 day trials of video editors available for download and of course the free compositor, which was originally recommended for use on the TWO movie. I haven't got the link to hand but you should find it in the original brief for the movie which should still be pinned in the movie forums.