Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Character Model, Daxter

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good so far... keep going!

One thing of note... on the pupils, if you delete the center CP(s) and draw out a four point spline outside of the model and attach the two middle points to two points on the edge of the pupil that are a total of four CPs apart, you can create a four cp patch and make the front of the pupil flat.

Once you have the four CP splines attached, you can delete the outer two CPs and then you have a single indpendent spline that bridges the gap straight across.

Like so...

[attachmentid=13805]

Dexter_critique.jpg

MMZ, thanks for the tips, I will try it out....

Ken, the character is not mine, unfortunately because it is such a cool character. It's from the Playstation 2 game of Jak and Daxter. The eyes are just kind of placeholders until I get some poses set for the squinting as showin the the reference image. The 3D model snout looks not big enough or is it too big, I don't understand the question.

Info on the characters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jak_and_Daxter

Day 2

These damn ears drive me nuts, what the hell kind of simple shape is it that it is impossible to duplicate?! its like smooth and angular at the same time. Well, I'm not happy with the ears so I will redo them tomorrow.

024bdaxter_small.jpg

Larger image http://renderwild.com/3d/024daxter.jpg

Wireframe

024bdaxter_wire.jpg

Looks cool!

If you're planning on animating him, especially in the eyes, I'd go with the completely round eyes with the pupil placed on the surface,

Then set up an eyepose with the eyeball scaled by the root eyeball bone so that the pupil always stays on the surface....

Look at the keykat model for reference

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Oh right...I didn't know the game.

I'd need to see a side profile of the character, but from the image above, it looks like your snout is too long. It looks like his front teeth should be right below (almost) his eyes and his smile stretch behind his eyes.

Also, his ears look like they should just be like a rabbits ears.

I like the coloration of the skin/fur you did. How'd you do that?

I was able to pick up the Games, Jack 1 and 2 for 8$ and 9$ respectively. I will be taking some video footage clips to get more reference. This is kinda fun. Except for those damn ears!

Ken, I see ehat you mean about the mouth protruding out too far. shouldn't be too hard to fix that.

-Mark

I found this on the net today as well as some video footage I am taking from the game.

These angles give a much better impression ofthe form of the ears. However it also makes me want to redo the whole model already. Ohwell. The snout has been shortened, and dealing with tweaking it all over again has taken up my whole day. Ears will come next.

(Also forgot to mention that I remade the teeth as with separate tops and bottoms so that they can be animated.)

DaxDeskVb.jpg

36daxter.jpg

wow! :o

this is some really cool stuff. i like the style!

one question though: how did you get the blend of orange and yellow to be so smooth?

Well, I created a simple gradient that used the following settings, you have to make sure you use your rulers to determine the start and end point from within your model window. I am looking at the material window from the right side. The yellow starts from the tip of the nose at about 1.8cm Z and ends at -.25 Z (eyebrows). The rotation is handled by the Y axis, in which it was mostly trial and error to get it to look right on my model.

gradient.jpg